Thread: Bubbler -vs- Flashback Arrestor

Bubbler -vs- Flashback Arrestor

I have a question about Bubblers and Flashback arrestors. Do these devices serve the same purpose? Do you need both -OR- one or the other? It seems that if you have a bubbler that is a type of flashback arrestor by design, but I could be wrong?

Check Valve

I am sure someone has tried this before... what about a check valve/flashback arrestor configuration in place of a bubbler? Or is the bubbler serving other functions besides just flashback arrestor?

The bubbler's MAIN purpose is to scrub the HHO gas of electrolyte. But it can also serve as a flashback arrestor in two ways

1) with no extra protection it will blow up the bubbler which is not the best scenario but far better then blowing up the reservoir and/or cell.

2) if your bubbler can withstand 100 psi or more then you could add a 5 psi pressure release valve to the bubbler and this will act as a flashback suppressor without blowing up the bubbler.

Me personally I use option two coupled with an inline flashback arrestor for three levels of protection.

I always use both.

I use a flashback arrestor, only. It's an arrestor for an oxygen torch, I used plastic fittings immediately at the vacuum line tee. NEVER one problem with this one! I had to flare the inside of the fitting to get the fit right. I have what looks like a bubbler, i use it as a dryer, for ease of use i have a quick valve at the bottom to drain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Madsceintist View Post
    I use a flashback arrestor, only. It's an arrestor for an oxygen torch, I used plastic fittings immediately at the vacuum line tee. NEVER one problem with this one! I had to flare the inside of the fitting to get the fit right. I have what looks like a bubbler, i use it as a dryer, for ease of use i have a quick valve at the bottom to drain it.
    How do you feel about the bronze-wool flashback arrestor (or even a couple of them)? Is that sufficient to protect my chamber from a possible carburetor backfire?

Quote Originally Posted by garage-science View Post
    How do you feel about the bronze-wool flashback arrestor (or even a couple of them)? Is that sufficient to protect my chamber from a possible carburetor backfire?
    if its something you are building then test it before installing it in your vehicle. Use a good bubbler to test it with first!
    Its done right or its not done !
    Hail HHO.