Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plate spaceing

plate spaceing

has any one figured out the optimal plate spacing?

It depends on the active plate area. In my experiences, smaller plates (< 30 or so sq.in.) seem to work well with 1/16" gaskets, while plates with larger active areas are better off with 1/8" gaskets.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

is this a function of resistance and current

im planing on have large plate areas

by increasing the gap your raising resistance lowering current draw but keeping voltage the same.

i read a while back but cant find it it talked about watts per area in a cell

Im a mechanical engineer by trade so i over analyse every thing and before i build any prototypes i run all the numbers first.

formulas

It seems like one of the variables has to be conductivity of the solution. I dont know if there is such a table for example conductivity of KOH (if thats what you are using) in water at certain concentrations at certain temps... I suspec the numbers would even vary then with temperature change.... Sounds like a lot of variables are at work to try and come up with a formula... Ahh... Thermo...

Quote Originally Posted by TimCollins View Post
    It seems like one of the variables has to be conductivity of the solution. I dont know if there is such a table for example conductivity of KOH (if thats what you are using) in water at certain concentrations at certain temps... I suspec the numbers would even vary then with temperature change.... Sounds like a lot of variables are at work to try and come up with a formula... Ahh... Thermo...
    im trying to use straight water then i can calc out the resistance of water.

my plates will have to be much closer together.

i am putting together a formula to maximize hho

Im going to run a very long pair of plates rolled together.

as a spirole in a wet cell but have 6 cells in total .

with a total surface area of about 100 square ft.

working it all out on paper before i build.

Quote Originally Posted by kbwakesk8 View Post

Im going to run a very long pair of plates rolled together.

as a spirole in a wet cell but have 6 cells in total .
    ??? OK, so you're going to use 2 long plates rolled into a spiral?
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by lhazleton View Post
    ??? OK, so you're going to use 2 long plates rolled into a spiral?

like this as an example.

maximize surface area

I knew it... You're going to need to make 7 of them, well at least 6 anyway. The separator material may be problematic, as the bubbles need to migrate upwards. That is UNLESS- and I just had this idea so it's mine! mine I tell you!.. er, sorry, -unless you start the spiral on a capped plastic tube (obviously just one end is capped ) then the length drilled with holes so that electrolyte can be pumped through the tube into the beginning of the spiral and then around and around until it emerges along with the gas bubbles. This presumes you plan to use spacers that run parallel with the roll, otherwise perpendicular spacers would cause continual changes in plate spacing and make hot spots.
    Since you're going to do this thing, why not order a couple rolls of nickel200 shim stock, it's already got a curvature built in... Man I wish I was doing this one! PICTURES!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That's what I thought you meant.

DAMNIT GUS, QUIT POSTING AT THE SAME TIME I DO!!!
    I swear, you've got some kind of 6th sense or something.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by lhazleton View Post
    That's what I thought you meant.

DAMNIT GUS, QUIT POSTING AT THE SAME TIME I DO!!!
    I swear, you've got some kind of 6th sense or something.
    I'm sorry Lee, I'll try to never do it again ....................................
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]