Thread: Plate Media Blasting Material of Choice

Plate Media Blasting Material of Choice

For those of you who blast your own plates, do you have a choice of material that has worked well for you and do you have any tips to share regarding blasting plate surfaces? I'm looking at starting with a 80-90 grit and then going with a 320 or so grit to finish them.

I found some shops locally to do my plates but after receiving their quotes I could have completed my cell in nickel 200 for the same price that they wanted just to media blast them.

What media have you used?

I just use 70 grit aluminum oxide. It's around $40 for 45 pounds or so.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

The shop that does mine uses DuPont Starblastâ„¢
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

After just a brief bit of research Aluminum oxide is basically the same material (Corundum) that rubies and sapphires are made of. It also makes Aluminum but in its raw state does not have the effect as far as I could find that aluminum does on stainless so should work fine and is readily available at HB.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Thank you both for your feedback, it is much appreciated.

Black Beauty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]