Thread: Basic hydrogen-on-demand capacity and output questions...

Tipjar Guest

Question Basic hydrogen-on-demand capacity and output questions...

Hi,

I've been watching all the HHO generator videos on YouTube, and all I've seen are supplemental arrangements; that is, the HHO generator is augmenting the vehicle's usual fuel system. These generators tend to be about the size of a thermos (probably due to space and configuration issues around the existing engine), although I have seen a couple of multi-plated 'battery bank' type designs that could eventually be joined in series, space allowing.

Is it possible to run a vehicle entirely from hydrogen-on-demand (NOT fuel cell)? Are delivery and fuel mixture issues the only technical limitations at this time?

If so, is there a significantly higher safety risk from the amount of hydrogen being generated, compared to the safety risks of gas or diesel or even electric vehicles? I'm thinking in terms of a car accident, or an internally based errant spark.

Generally speaking, how many millileters per minute of hydrogen gas is needed to run a 4-cylinder car engine with no other fuel source? How many HHO generators do you think would be necessary to run a Ford F-150 (8-cyl., 4.2L) if each generator were producing 500ml of hydrogen per minute? And if there were sufficient fuel to run the engine might there still be horsepower issues?

Would hydrogen work in a diesel motor?

Much thanks for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipjar View Post
    Hi,

I've been watching all the HHO generator videos on YouTube, and all I've seen are supplemental arrangements; that is, the HHO generator is augmenting the vehicle's usual fuel system. These generators tend to be about the size of a thermos (probably due to space and configuration issues around the existing engine), although I have seen a couple of multi-plated 'battery bank' type designs that could eventually be joined in series, space allowing.

Is it possible to run a vehicle entirely from hydrogen-on-demand (NOT fuel cell)? Are delivery and fuel mixture issues the only technical limitations at this time?

If so, is there a significantly higher safety risk from the amount of hydrogen being generated, compared to the safety risks of gas or diesel or even electric vehicles? I'm thinking in terms of a car accident, or an internally based errant spark.

Generally speaking, how many millileters per minute of hydrogen gas is needed to run a 4-cylinder car engine with no other fuel source? How many HHO generators do you think would be necessary to run a Ford F-150 (8-cyl., 4.2L) if each generator were producing 500ml of hydrogen per minute? And if there were sufficient fuel to run the engine might there still be horsepower issues?

Would hydrogen work in a diesel motor?

Much thanks for reading.
    It would take alot of HHO to power a vehicle. I ran my lawnmower at idle on ~3LPM, it wouldnt rev up though, just idle. Not sure if it was because I couldnt provide enough fuel, or if it was other reasons. I wont even venture a guess at how many LPM it would take to run a large engine. As for diesel engines, you bet it works on them.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

justaguy Guest
    I know someone who is putting over 13 lpm through his carburetor and had to do changes with throttle control. When he let off the throttle while going down a hill his truck speeded up because the hho was still the same.

Question

This question always come up.

Hydrogen has a certain energy value. At 1 L/Min this energy is very, very, small. If you generated 1 L/min of gasoline vapor, it would have very, very, little energy too!

Liquid hydrogen has a low density of 71 grams/liter. There is more hydrogen in a liter of methanol (99 grams/liter) than in a liter of liquid hydrogen.

Regular Gasoline has 44.4 MJ/KG or MJ/2.2lb
    Hydrogen has 121-141 MJ/KG or MJ/2.2lb

Gasoline weighs 6.073 lb/gal or 3 KG/gal.

Try to produce 2 POUNDS of hydrogen to equal a gallon of gasoline and see how much energy it takes to do it.