Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuse Problem

Fuse Problem

Hi Guys
    well due to the fact that the winter weather has come i increased the amount of electrolyte in system (dry cell) so i added pot/hydrox until a reading of 1.21 was seen on hydrometer, I turned on the system and it was producing lots of HHO for about 5 mins then meltdown. pwm & amp meter are now in the bin....so i did a rewire with just a relay,fuse & a switch but no joy it just keeps popping the 30amp fuse so it looks like its going to be a drain down and add some distilled water (to weaken the mix).....so how can i stop it freezing without the recomended 28% .
    How others have managed to run a 28% electrolyte is a puzzle to me

Hi Guys
    well due to the fact that the winter weather has come i increased the amount of electrolyte in system (dry cell) so i added pot/hydrox until a reading of 1.21 was seen on hydrometer, I turned on the system and it was producing lots of HHO for about 5 mins then meltdown. pwm & amp meter are now in the bin....so i did a rewire with just a relay,fuse & a switch but no joy it just keeps popping the 30amp fuse so it looks like its going to be a drain down and add some distilled water (to weaken the mix).....so how can i stop it freezing without the recomended 28% .
    How others have managed to run a 28% electrolyte is a puzzle to me
    To run full strength in your setup you will have to use a PWM. The only other alternative is to add more stacks to get the amps down to below your fuse and where the heat is right. I use a PWM only in the winter.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

T Man your PWM must be turned up to high or not working. It could have burned out if you did not turn it down when you increased the electrolyte to max. Test the PWM again. They are easy to burn out. Hopefully the fuse protected it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

Thanks for the reply...,,,.... just found this big PWM on ebay.......http://www.ebay.com/itm/PWM-HHO-wate...#ht_3022wt_905 looks like it would handle some power

T man any of the pwm's that require a fan are still classified as fragile and cheap. The really good ones cost $400 plus and range from 200 amps to 800 amps. Here is one but not set up exactly for HHO.

http://www.alltraxinc.com/Products_AXE.html

Here is another cheap one that if you keep in under the 50 amps works OK based on what I have heard but is still fragile and cheap. I have not tested it but will.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170705565207...84.m1423.l2649

Well i had an hour spare today so did some erm erm erm rewiring .......put in a 40a inline fuse and drained the header tank then filled with distilled water.....all went well then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaap fuse gone so put the fuse up to 60amp and let it rip.......all ok and no fuse popping but live cable did get hot so switched off.....now its time to search the dustbin for my PWM that i put in the bin (fish pongs after a day or )......anyhow did a test on PWM and its all ok so put it back into the system (30amp fuse).....ok so turned the PWM to zero and just tuned to just get the cell running and im happy to say it has ran all afternoon

Well that is a step forward. What concentration is it run at?

Hi
    the Electrolyte is @ 11.36%....and all is well i hope

T Man, I think I know what your problem is. If you have a 21 plate that is set up like this-NNNN+NNNN-NNNN+NNNN- Then you have 2.76 volts per cell/plate. This will tend to draw a lot more amps than a 22 plate or 19 plate configuration. So when you go full strength it will exceed you PWM's range and blow a fuse etc. You need to add one plate and go to -NNNNNN+NNNNNN-NNNNNN+ this will cut the voltage down to 1.97 volts and solve all your problems. You will most likely be able to run full strength and stay with in the limits of the PWM. What size are the plates and how thick are the gaskets?

Hi
    Its a multi cell Made out of 316L stainless steel plates Quad 7 plate design, a total of 28 plates configured +NN-NN+

This is the exact cell here http://www.ebay.com/itm/HHO-Hydrogen...item2c5a26c27d