Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry cell nozzles

Dry cell nozzles

Hey all! I'm having problems with my hho dry cell, in attaching the nozzle to the cell (the connection is a threaded nozzle on one end and barbed on the other). The threaded side goes onto the cell and the barbed side to the hose (probably obvious). So I'm having trouble connecting the nozzle to the plastic cell plates. How do you guys do it?

Here's what I've tried:
    First I used small plastic nozzles and glued it in, but eventually it would leak. Then I tried brass ones with a different kind of glue (first set I used liquid electrical tape and marine goop, then I used Gorilla glue). It seems like every glue I used would eventually disintegrate in the KOH solution. Using brass nozzles probably wasn't a very good idea either since I think they were touching the plates and making a bit of HHO.

Any ideas appreciated!! Thanks!

Pictures of any of your systems would also help.

My main concern is securely attaching the nozzle to the plastic plates while taking up minimal space and trying to avoid glues. (unless you know of a glue that's unaffected by KOH)

I use plastic barbed connections, threaded into the plastic and secured with marine 'GOOP'. Nice tight hose clamp around the hose connections as well. Works just fine in the 1lb of NaOH per gallon of water I'm running.

I'm going to proceed under the assumption that this is not a joke-

There is a tool called a "tap" and it looks somewhat like a bolt, but with vertical grooves cut out of the threads in several places. Purchase a tap that has the same thread size as your fitting (barbed & threaded nozzel). You place the tap at the hole opening and turn it clockwise to cut threads into the plastic. Be sure to carefully position it vertically when you start the hole. Also, after you have taken 4 full turns into the plastic with it, back it out 1/2 turn, then proceed clockwise again for 1-1/2 turns, back out 1/2 turn again, then forward 1-1/2. Repeat, etc.. Do not "bury" the tap into the plastic, leave 1/4" of cutting threads above the face of the hole to insure a good tight fit and seal on your fitting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I apologize for my stupidity, but thank-you very much

(it was not a joke, i did not know those things existed; you have helped me in defeating my ignorance!)

My friend, do not confuse stupidity with a simple case of method-ignorance. You were smart enough to ask, and now you know. We all have our areas of expertise and ignorance, and I'm glad to help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks, learning this might honestly be one of the most helpful fixes that I have needed in awhile. Leaky HHO cells are the WORST

is this what a tap should look like?

yes that is a good tap tool for your cell nozzles. Refer back to Bio's instructions.

I think the tap is my new favorite tool

(and after trying to drill straight down in to the plastic plates with a hand drill, I hope everyone out there is aware of how nice it is to have a drill press)