Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry cell nozzles

I used the tap, put some goop around the nozzle and screwed it in, then applied a bit more goop to the outside. still leaked a bit.
    Do you use teflon around the nozzle?
    I've now reapplied the nozzle with teflon and a hopefully more secure application of goop.

Quote Originally Posted by BioFarmer93 View Post
    Do not "bury" the tap into the plastic, leave 1/4" of cutting threads above the face of the hole to insure a good tight fit and seal on your fitting.
    Did you follow the last bit of Bio's advice?
    With a taper tap, the cut thread gets "looser" as you near the top of the tap.

Ive used teflon tape and a liquid teflon sealant at different times, either one worked OK for me, but I started with "tight" threads. I didn't need to use any glue.

if you use 1/4" tap you need to use 3/8" npt fittings. using 1/4 fittings with a 1/4" tap will not give you a tight seal. And some of us learned this the hard way.

This takes a little practice to get it exactly right. Just do not thread the tap in to far. When done just right the last couple threads of the fitting is so tight that if you have cheap plastic fittings they will brake while tightening. Get a scrap piece and do a little practice to see how far you need to run the tap. Using goop should seal it if it is not to loose. Make sure is is really dry before you test it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Yeah, I must have buried it a little too far.
    @Havens78 Count me in for that
    I've been trying a combination of Goop (fully dried), then superglue and teflon wrapped around that while the superglue's still wet. I'll see how that works. I might end up buying some more plates (thicker this time) and being more careful with the threading.

Wow, the Teflon/superglue setup worked! Go figure. It probably won't last forever so I'll still have to cut a few more new plates eventually. But now my bubbler is leaking from the nozzle connection... This was pre-made so it's diss appointing, but I'm making progress! Once that's fixed and I figure out a higher amp power supply, I'll be good to go! One more question; is it 'bad' that I'm using only about 2% KOH by weight? And even with that low solution, I'm still drawing more AMPS than the PSU is set to.