Thread: I admit I'm impatient

hooty Guest

Smile I admit I'm impatient

So I went out to some various stores and picked up the parts to make a small "sandbox" HHO set up so I can play with it, learn more and maybe eventually put one in to one of my vehicles. I will post pictures when I get it put together later. I would like to know how people are powering these without being on the mains, are you using tool batteries or lead acids, or a grouping of smaller batteries in a carrier? I don't know that I want to hook it up to my car battery as of yet (I need to do some calculating to make sure I don't screw my alternator up before I add anything more to it.)

-Hooty

Power

I am using a battery charger and or a 12V 40amp max power supply.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

hooty Guest

Impatience

is a virtue... or was that patience....
    So here I sit, with my newly constructed sandbox toy (no, it will not be mounted in a vehicle, unless I come up with a bigger unit and more of a reservoir or scrap this method all together (more likely).

For the case I used a Pelican watertight case as a starting point. For the cell, It's +n- (if that is the proper terminology, a n = nylon nut), with the + being the top plate. the hose isn't submersed, it's a vent for any and all gases to escape through. Modifications that I will be making is to shorten up the nylon bolts so that the cell sits down closer to the bottom, as it sits right now, it gets submerged but not very deeply. 1/3rd of an inch could make a big difference in run time at least so far as my experimenting is concerned.

Lastly, all I have to do is to come up with a "safe" way of powering it so I don't burn up building wires or car wires. (By come up with = go out and buy something like what you use, Stratous)

Comments are greatly appreciated, yes, even the "you're crazy" or "you cheapskate" comments.

It *is* at this point where I will be exercising caution and not firing it up until I feel comfortable that this design isn't flawed majorly and going to cause property or bodily damage.

-Hooty

Ronjinsan Guest

OK Hooty

Firstly, welcome to the forums! Now lets have a look at what you have. There appears to be a 2 plate setup laying in a Pelican 1020 watertight case. The plates are connected and supported with Plastic screws. The power connections are drilled through the lid and sealed using stripped cable to attach to the plates! I think we are right so far. My prediction would be, that when you connect this to a battery it will draw as much as it can probably more than 20amps.....you will get an immpressive HHO production depending on the amount of electrolyte you put in. Oh of course if you happen to put too much in you will probably need some welders gloves and a mask when you connect the cable! Upshot of this is....it WILL overheat and it will end up with thermal runaway. Couple of tips. Its a nice little setup to play with but.... 1/ add a neutral plate inbetween the existing ones. 2/ Put stainless bolts and plates inside to connect the power through otherwise you will get a bi-metal battery effect. (try for only SS and plastic inside) 3/ Start with little electrolyte and add a bit at a time. 4/ test it on a car battery or you wont get real world results! 5/ Move the outlet pipe to the top and stand the box up or the gas will not clear the plates properly... Have fun!