Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Measuring KOH concentration with hydrometer

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Jacques View Post
    Will the resistance become static?

I read somewhere the Ideal concentration is 28%, so is that where the resistance would go static? Or would be a lot higher than that with just diminishing returns?
    From what I've understood, past 28% adding further KOH does not improve the conductivity of the water (someone else please jump in here if you think I'm mistaken), this tells me that adding KOH or any other catalyst is reducing resistance. At the particular catalysts saturation point further reductions in resistance cannot be reached.

On a side note, I think resistance would be the ideal universal way of expressing the state of electrolyte and would be translatable over to NaOH or any other catalyst. It would also provide a means of comparing new catalysts by expressing the resistance achievable in a known volume of water. What we need is an agreed setup, for example, a 2" square container filled to the brim with multimeter electrodes or some other approved conductor at approved places in the container to maintain a current travel distance and hence a comparable electrolyte resistance reading.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

I did find a nice good size battery hydrometer In the 1.20 - 1.30 range, at O'Reily's auto parts. I'll be testing the conductivety also.