Thread: Making electrodes from rolled & coiled plates - feasible?

Question Making electrodes from rolled & coiled plates - feasible?

Please excuse this if this has already been discussed but I did do a search already. I have a couple questions as well. First is how much productivity is lost to the plates as the H bubbles pass up through the liquid and contact is lost tot he plates? Would making the plates a limited height make a difference or does the water become so saturated with bubbles that this does not make a difference. Now to my original (original to me) idea.

I see most people stacking plates of + and - with some kind of non conductive separator. My question is what would happen if 2 long pieces of SS were stacked on top of each other (with something like paper in between to keep them separated as they role), rolled to the desired dimension, fastened and secured so they do not unroll and retain their space and separation and the paper removed. At this point you would most likely have the most surface area possible with the least number of connections. A space could be added to the top and bottom of the roll, maybe a softened/heated piece of plastic 1/4" square or round pressed through the diameter of the roll - this should also make sure the roll retains the spacing if other means were not implemented.

At this point I guess I would hand the design over to those more knowledgeable. I would think that this same design could be used with other materials like wire mesh if that were the material of choice.

Would it be possible to use SS roof flashing and maybe aluminum flashing (I heard that AL can be used for one of the electrodes, I forget which, as it doesn't oxidize when it has one of the negative charge - is that true as well?)

Would there be a limitation to the amperage running through the plates? Is this a consideration when using thinner materials? I appologize again if this has been stated already.

Also, in this setup would gas be produced on both sides of the plates?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIIIn1pIYWk - I couldn't get the video to work completely but it looks interesting

Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.