Thread: Dimmer Switch

Dimmer Switch

I have a possibly silly question.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a 120V AC 300watt dimmer switch in place of a PWM on a 12V HHO circuit that draws 15 amps max. I'm not really sure how well the dimmer switch would handle the translation to 12V so I thought I'd see if anyone could enlighten me to the possible consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by noahb View Post
    I have a possibly silly question.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a 120V AC 300watt dimmer switch in place of a PWM on a 12V HHO circuit that draws 15 amps max. I'm not really sure how well the dimmer switch would handle the translation to 12V so I thought I'd see if anyone could enlighten me to the possible consequences.
    I wish it did work Noah, it sure would save a lot of money.. Unfortuately 12vdc will smoke the dimmer rather quickly. Instead of using a device to lower the amperage to your reactor, why not just design your reactor to only use 15A? If you used roughly .375A per sq.in., and have already determined that you will allocate 15A to the system, then just divide 15 by .375, for 40 sq.in.. You will want 8 plates (2 power plates and 6 neutral's), so 40sq.in. divided by 8 plates will equal 5sq.in. per plate. The square root of 5 is 2.236~ so let us say 2.5" x 2.5" working area & .5" gasket all around would give a finished plate size of 3.5" x 3.5". If you use six neutral plates as I've suggested, you won't need a PWM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]