Thread: wire cell?

wire cell?

I'm going to be building my first cell soon. I'm going to start off with a wet cell. I got some 316l stainless steel rods for free. That are 1/8x36". I'm thinking of using 4" pvc and standing the rods straight up and down and really close together. I shold be able to put about 300 rods in with about 1/8" spacing. Has eanyone trues this will it work ok? And how would you wire up something like this. How tall should I make it. Want ideas would be of great help.

Sorry, but what you are describing sounds like a voltage leaking mess. Build a dry cell, end of story. Watch this video to see why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQOxWXRsLB4

Jon,
    Save your time and those nice 1/8" dia. 316L rods... I'm sure they will come in handy for something at some point- bend a half circle in each end and make never corroding potted plant hangers, or outdoor kinetic sculpture, but don't waste your time and resorces trying to make an HHO reactor out of them- they sell plate for that. Please take HHOConnection's advice and build yourself a dry cell, you'll much happier in the long run.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the advice. I know dry cells are the way to go but since this is my first one I was trying not to spend a lot of money. My thought was my idea was kinda like a tube cell or a Stan Myers cell. I would have lots of surface area and a tube will be the easiest design for bubbles to rise from. Not doubting you guys but why would my idea not be good. Remember i'm a newbie. I do have some S/S sheets but its not 316l and its only 20 gage.

It will work.

Just not very well. The production will probably be just a few cubic centimeters per minute per ampere at 12 volts, since it will be the equivalent of a 2 plate system. It was an enjoyable exercise, but did not produce useful volumes of gas to augment an engine's combustion. Trust me, I built a device such as you are describing, for a science project for my son's elementary school project.