Thread: freezing climates

freezing climates

ok so i live in indiana where freezing will be a concern 4-5 months a year. I have thought of a couple ways to just keep the unit warm enough not to freeze but not get it hot.

First I was wondering about using heat tape like what used in mobile homes to keep the pipes from freezing. It has a couple of advantages. 1st, it uses 7 watts per foot. 2nd, Its waterproof to a point. 3rd, it comes ready to use with a thermostat built in to turn on at 38 degrees f and turn off at 45 degrees f. The only disadvantage would be that it runs 120 volts ac. So I figure I will use an inverter hooked to the battery to only run when the car is not on and then use a trickle charger to keep the battery charged.

Second idea was to use an inline heater installed in the lines of the unit with a pump. I have seen them before in other applications years ago but I don't remember for what and I cant seem to find them now. But also I don't know what the solution would do to the workings of said heat pump.

How do you guys keep the system from freezing though? I don't want to up the electrolyte unless its absolutely necessary because if I understand properly if I up the electrolyte I will also up the amps and cause the cell to heat up correct?

The only way to properly keep the unit from freezing is by using 28% KOH or 20% NaOH. The amps can be controlled with a CCPWM. Any kind of heating element will draw more power, thus killing any chance of MPG improvement.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

So How much KoH is that per gallon of water?

This is from a member here on another forum, I reference it often. Thank you Carter!

"The concentration of NaOH or KOH per Liter of distilled water in grams per liter is:

28% = 389g per Liter of distilled water MAXIMUM for KOH

20% = 250g per Liter of distilled water MAXIMUM for NaOH

15% = 177g per Liter of distilled water

10% = 111.5 g per Liter of distilled water

5% = 53g per Liter of distilled water

weight of electrolyte (KOH or NaOH) / weight of distilled water + weight of electrolyte x 100 =%

For the Yanks stuck in ounce land 1 once is 28.35 grams."

Talking

thanks guys for the calculations. I am stuck in the american standard, but i can convert.

28% = 389g per Liter of distilled water MAXIMUM for KOH

This is roughly 3lbs. KOH flake (92%) added to one gallon of distilled water.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php