Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Awsome Electrolyte!

nickalderson Guest
    I don't think any toxic fumes are left behind from desalination of water, which is what he is doing. The water molecules are evaporated out of the salt water and then the condensation is collected, thereby separating the water from the salt. I think what is left behind is salt. Kind of like the salt flats that people drive cars really fast on. I also think this desalinated water would be useless as an electrolyte. I do agree that this seems pretty scammy.

With that said, while this process may not be a great idea for an electrolyte, you may want to consider it if you are ever stranded on a deserted island and need some drinking water. You can actually do this with your urine as well, if you are stuck in the desert. Isn't the Discovery Channel great.

LinChiek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nickalderson View Post
    I don't think any toxic fumes are left behind from desalination of water, which is what he is doing. The water molecules are evaporated out of the salt water and then the condensation is collected, thereby separating the water from the salt. I think what is left behind is salt. Kind of like the salt flats that people drive cars really fast on. I also think this desalinated water would be useless as an electrolyte. I do agree that this seems pretty scammy.

With that said, while this process may not be a great idea for an electrolyte, you may want to consider it if you are ever stranded on a deserted island and need some drinking water. You can actually do this with your urine as well, if you are stuck in the desert. Isn't the Discovery Channel great.
    he's not collecting the condensation.... he's collecting the remaining of the evaporated seawater....

nickalderson Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LinChiek View Post
    he's not collecting the condensation.... he's collecting the remaining of the evaporated seawater....
    Yeah, you're right. I misread what he was doing.

Still, forget about this electrolyte, and use the technique I mentioned the next time you find yourself wandering through the desert alone with no water, or the next time pirates kidnap you and leave you stranded on a small island in the middle of the Caribbean. It happens all the time.

BAD MEDICINE Guest
    Got any ocean front property in Arizona I can buy too?

djerickd Guest
    Uhh guys... before anyone bashes the OP again:

he does say

"99% of the sodium and most of the chloride precipitate OUT of the solution."

this is interesting... he has a great arguement for it on ebay:

SOME OF THE PROBLEMS WITH THE OTHER FUEL
    CELL ELECTROLYTES THAT ARE IN COMMON USE

• Baking soda is plainly problematic. It leaves a white residue that is hard to get out.
    • Sodium Citrate starts bubbling up into the hose, and puts an orange residue in the air intake system.
    • KOH – potassium hydroxide crystals put out a lot of hydrogen gas, but also put out hydrodge sulfide, which is highly toxic, something like nerve gas. Most of the law suits coming out of HHO production are because of this toxic gas. Potassium Hydroxide in powder form emits the same toxic gas, plus it can burn the skin.
    • Sodium Hydroxide powder is not as bad as potassium hydroxide. It produces a lot of gas, but also produces hydrogen sulfide gas, and if you get Sodium Hydroxide powder on your skin, it will burn. Also, aluminum is highly reactive with it. Sodium Hydroxide will quickly dissolve aluminum.
    • Tap water shortens the life of the Fuel Cell. It leaves a lot of residue, and doesn’t seem to produce enough gas.
    • Distilled vinegar, though we have found it to be the next best thing to AG-USA’s Electrolyte, isn’t pure. It has it’s unwanted contaminants. Plus it is more bulky to transport.
    is this not true?

based on this info I would be interested in toying with distilled vinegar...

Does the OP have a response?

LinChiek Guest
    # KOH – potassium hydroxide crystals put out a lot of hydrogen gas, but also put out hydrodge sulfide, which is highly toxic, something like nerve gas. Most of the law suits coming out of HHO production are because of this toxic gas. Potassium Hydroxide in powder form emits the same toxic gas, plus it can burn the skin.
    # Sodium Hydroxide powder is not as bad as potassium hydroxide. It produces a lot of gas, but also produces hydrogen sulfide gas, and if you get Sodium Hydroxide powder on your skin, it will burn. Also, aluminum is highly reactive with it. Sodium Hydroxide will quickly dissolve aluminum.
    where does the sulfide come from?

Sounds like a crock of made-up shit to me.

daveczrn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LinChiek View Post
    where does the sulfide come from?
    Well since we are all using water that's not distilled and has high levels of sulfer in it it does produce hydrogen sulfide.

yea.. not believing anything in his post really.

HYDROTEKPRO Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GoHydrogen!! View Post
    Recently several people in my family including my dad and I have really gotten into the concept of separating hydrogen out of water through electrolysis. We now have a working unit on our work truck and have found a great electrolyte for it! It's basically ocean water evaporated down from 100 gallons to 1 gallon. In this process 99% of the sodium and most of the chloride precipitate out of the solution. So, we are left with a great electrolyte and you can tell when you see that hydrogen bubble up! We are currently selling these on ebay it's well worth taking a look at. Just type in HHO electrolyte under all items and it will bring you right to it. Hope this helps a lot of you out, it sure has helped us!
    There is also either a contradiction there, a confusion, or just plain dishonest and deceptive sales talk. Here's the deal.

Ocean water evaporated down from 100 gallons to 1 gallon, or whatever, is just like the salt evaporation ponds used to collect salt. Therefore, if this is true, you get the salt from 100 gallons in only 1 gallon. This is ocean water being evaporated down, which is what he said.

Then he says 99% of the sodium and most of the chloride precipitate out of the solution. The only way that the sodium and chloride can precipitate (rain is the precipitation of water from gaseous cloud form) out of the seawater is for it to be boiled into steam, and the water from that steam then collected afterwards on a cold surface where it can drip down into a container, which is distillation. This means that they are distilling the seawater, which is a contradiction to evaporating it down (different processes). So now he says they're distilling it.

Well, which one is it? Are they really going to the trouble to actually distill the seawater? Are they just doing an accelerated version of evaporating it down, by boiling it and then selling the smaller amount of the remaining, concentrated seawater? Or are they just selling seawater? Or are they just selling either tap water, or distilled water, with only a small percentage (like maybe 10%) of seawater in it? This last one sounds like the one I would use if I wanted to make a fast buck about something I didn't know about or care about!

GoHydrogen!! Guest
    Perhaps you didn't note that this isn't "sea water". When you remove 99% of the sodium, and most of the chloride and calcium, it changes its effects. We have had this tested by experts in the field, and their conclusion was that it was the best electrolyte they had seen.

Somehow the mineral complex in ocean water (minus the NaCL) works quite well as an electrolyte.