Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HHO System for a 5.4 Liter BMW V12

HHO System for a 5.4 Liter BMW V12

Hi guys,

Let me start by saying this thread is - for the time being - dedicated solely to outlining a build plan, as I won't begin construction for another few months. Anyways, I'm hoping to design a system that will provide some very noticeable results in my car. This is my car so far:

Details of the Engine:

Stock, re-gasketed M73B54 from a 1998 BMW 750iL with 120k miles.
    - 5.4 liters, SOHC
    - 326hp/ 361 ft-lb torque
    - 10:1 Compression ratio
    - waterpump pulley spacer which allows deletion of A/C, powersteering, and all accessories except the alternator
    - Alusil (Aluminum/Silicone) Block
    - Redline 6,000 rpm

Pictures:

There is no definite goal for the gains of the HHO system, just something that can provide a noticeable difference in power, fuel economy, or both. If I could get a 25-30% increase in either range or power, I would be more than satisfied. But, as space or time isn't really a limiting factor in this, I figured I would see what can really be done on a reasonable budget. Since the engine has no accessories I would be able to attach a second alternator devoted solely to the HHO system without seeing an increase in parasitic drag. I want to hear more about the recommended .25-.5 LPM per liter of displacement number, as I am curious why this number couldn't be increased provided one had the air/fuel to match the HHO output. In short, I'm looking for a good dry-cell setup. I've watched all of Mike's HHO Connection videos so I have a good idea of what's needed, but it's the power supply of voltage/amps that still confuses me. Please chime in on what you would recommend for a setup on this engine! If anyone has questions, please ask.

Thanks,

Spencer

...Anyone?

Any takers?

With the information on this forum you should be able to build a great dry cell that will give you your needed 2.7 Liters Per Minute at around 35-37 amps with the standard 13.8 volts produced by the vehicle. If you plan on making the vehicle 16 volt compatible i'm not sure of those numbers as I personally have not experimented with a 16 volt system. Biggest thing is tuning your engine to accept the extra hho, this doesn't look like a problem for what you're doing.

Hit the search on some of the mentors' posts, tons of information on here about plate design and setup.

Thanks for the reassurance I've been reading like a madman, sounds like a unipolar dry cell setup is the way to go.

Ill be putting HHO onto this engines bigger brother at some point, a S70 (5.6litre, 400bhp). I also am dubious on the 0.25litres of HHO per litre of CC, but I guess its just a rough guideline. Im currently testing on a 4.0 M60 V8 (BMW engine from 540i).

I dont accept that an Evo 8 at 400bhp with a 2litre engine needs vastly less HHO than an old Yank tank with a 7litre V8 putting out 250bhp despite the fueling requirements on the EVO being higher. BSFC has to drive HHO usage, the same way it drives Fuel Injector sizing.

When working out Water Meth injection requirements you do not look at total CC of engine, you look at what the installed Fuel Injectors inject per Min.

I think we have always recommended .5 LPM per liter for a starting point. Some take more and some take less. A lot depends on the quality of the gas. You are right about the injector size. I think it is better stated that a vehicle that requires more fuel at a given rpm requires more HHO at that rpm. Most are tuned to the rpm where the vehicle is driven the most. I found turning it off at idle and when not needed like coasting down hill is a benefit and actually saves fuel.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

I think that's nearly able to produce enough HHO to run the car pure

Quote Originally Posted by mattsimis View Post
    Ill be putting HHO onto this engines bigger brother at some point, a S70 (5.6litre, 400bhp). I also am dubious on the 0.25litres of HHO per litre of CC, but I guess its just a rough guideline. Im currently testing on a 4.0 M60 V8 (BMW engine from 540i).

I dont accept that an Evo 8 at 400bhp with a 2litre engine needs vastly less HHO than an old Yank tank with a 7litre V8 putting out 250bhp despite the fueling requirements on the EVO being higher. BSFC has to drive HHO usage, the same way it drives Fuel Injector sizing.

When working out Water Meth injection requirements you do not look at total CC of engine, you look at what the installed Fuel Injectors inject per Min.
    Please keep me informed with your progress! I've PMed you as well.