Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My First Build

I was planning to take a hose hooked to the system and pierce it the probes on my multimeter at right at 6 inches apart. measure the resistance. I have a very nice meter and figured I could easily do this then when I am done I will just replace the hose.

I know this maybe a waste of time, but if I don't waste time doing meaningless tests I would be done by now, saving a butt ton on gasoline, and be bored out of my mind.

I really enjoy all of the stuff I have done in this build. I wasnt planning to build a new tank but as long as I have to I figure I might as well play with a little more efficency if possible. I am also thinking of setting up a test with an extra cell I have to see if any current does get sent through the electrolyte by setting it up and sending power through the unit and measuring one probe on positive and the other diectly in a test tank. I would set it to measure for amps and voltage. I am just curious how much if any electricity is flowing around the plates instead of through them.

I also unlike most you guys have a 40 hour week and then have the rest the time do play with the kiddos and play on the hho project. I try very hard to not run more than 1 project at a time and currently can't afford to build the new tank. So I am mainly just entertaining myself. I share it with you guys because people ask and because I figure that its what the forum is for is to share our findings and research.

I know alot of you say its hard to find time to get to work on the units and play with tests, so I figure I can play with it and report back.

Water leaks

Ok so I built a new tank and it doesnt leak much but it does some. But the big deal is that almost all of the plastic fittings in the plastic plates are leaking. I used 1/2 inch HDPE cutting boards and then drilled with a 1/2 inch bit and used a 1/4 inch mpt tap. it called for a 17/32 inch hole but I used a 1/2 inch hoping for a tighter fit and it seems very snug but then I used about 4 layed of the blue teflon tape and it still friggin leaks. I am so fed up with this I am about to sell the whole unit as it sits. I want to know if anyone else has had this problem and if so is there a glue to use around the joints or how do I overcome these darn leaks.

you could use weldon 16 if you dot mind that the fitting will NEVER come apart from the cutting boards. teflon tape should have been enough though

I use teflon (red) and it's fine.

I have used gorilla glue on the fitting with success.

ok well while i have it apart i will use more teflon and gorrilla glue. I am just tired of almost getting done then finding problems. Thanks again guys for your nonstop help

Quote Originally Posted by danser75 View Post
    Ok so I built a new tank and it doesnt leak much but it does some. But the big deal is that almost all of the plastic fittings in the plastic plates are leaking. I used 1/2 inch HDPE cutting boards and then drilled with a 1/2 inch bit and used a 1/4 inch mpt tap. it called for a 17/32 inch hole but I used a 1/2 inch hoping for a tighter fit and it seems very snug but then I used about 4 layed of the blue teflon tape and it still friggin leaks. I am so fed up with this I am about to sell the whole unit as it sits. I want to know if anyone else has had this problem and if so is there a glue to use around the joints or how do I overcome these darn leaks.
    Dude your not alone but i have learned something you will appreciate ............
    Permatex joint compound !!!!!! Its at most auto parts places. Basically its liquid Teflon. You put it on every threaded fitting tighten the fitting then let set for at least 12 hours before putting ANY pressure on it and you WILL NOT leak. I use this for oil, coolant, air, anything and it never leaks. Hot or cold, and I've used it for years, and you can take it apart if you need! without breaking anything.
    Its done right or its not done !
    Hail HHO.

ok thanx i will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Madsceintist View Post
    Dude your not alone but i have learned something you will appreciate ............
    Permatex joint compound !!!!!! Its at most auto parts places. Basically its liquid Teflon. You put it on every threaded fitting tighten the fitting then let set for at least 12 hours before putting ANY pressure on it and you WILL NOT leak. I use this for oil, coolant, air, anything and it never leaks. Hot or cold, and I've used it for years, and you can take it apart if you need! without breaking anything.
    Is it ok with KOH and NaOH?

Quote Originally Posted by danser75 View Post
    ok well while i have it apart i will use more teflon and gorrilla glue. I am just tired of almost getting done then finding problems. Thanks again guys for your nonstop help
    I quickly read through all the reply onyour build, one I noticed was the leaks you are experiencing onyour fittings. The solution for that is: when you are tapping the holes for the fitting DO NOT run the tap all the way through the hole, go halfway the fitting will start then you will need to use a wrench to get in far enough to be tight. To help prevent the leaks, yes use teflon tape on the threads, then use some "gasket marker". you get this from a auto parts store, before you thread the fitting to the hole apply some of the gasket maker around the threads (apply it at the very first thread and up to halfway up the fitting. that way when you are threading the fitting on the garket maker is being pushed up making contact as it is being drive in.

The key to preventing leaks is when you tap the holes, as mentioned DO NOT drive the tap all the way through. GO HALFWAY then just go back and port to clean the threads you created. Also, you need to trim the fitting to the thickness of you cutting board, that way you can drive the fitting in and be flushed again the fitting head. How are you trimming the fitting to the thickness of your cutting board?

I am very busy these days or I would shoot you a video showing the tapping process and applying the gasket maker. Another thing I am using HDPE glue specially for this material.