Thread: california emissions

california emissions

I have a question, how does a vehicle with a hho booster, and a efei get a smog check here in califonia? Anyone that has experienced this I would appreciate your knowledge on this subject.
    Thanks

It is not legal in California to alter the fuel system or any of the electronics. There is a fine if caught. Most hotroders are doing it anyway. LOL No honest smog station will allow it in fear of loosing their license and worse. Some will let you disconnect it and then hook it up after the test. California SUCKS. Makes no sense to not allow you to use something that has been proven to clean up the exhaust. There is only one device that is legal in California that I know of. It is a splitter reactor and has been approved by CARB. It uses no electronics so has only small to no gains. The odd vehicle gets better than a small gain. It is not an efficient reactor. Most of the gains are driving changes (hypermiling) and not because of the system. This is also true to some extent with other HHO systems. There are just a few that really give you real mileage.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by myoldyourgold View Post
    It is not legal in California to alter the fuel system or any of the electronics. There is a fine if caught. Most hotroders are doing it anyway. LOL No honest smog station will allow it in fear of loosing their license and worse. Some will let you disconnect it and then hook it up after the test. California SUCKS. Makes no sense to not allow you to use something that has been proven to clean up the exhaust. There is only one device that is legal in California that I know of. It is a splitter reactor and has been approved by CARB. It uses no electronics so has only small to no gains. The odd vehicle gets better than a small gain. It is not an efficient reactor. Most of the gains are driving changes (hypermiling) and not because of the system. This is also true to some extent with other HHO systems. There are just a few that really give you real mileage.
    Will most smog technicians allow the fitting used for injecting hho into air intake pipe? Or will I have to remove the fitting and hho supply hose? Also will disconnecting hho and switching off efie after running these for a period of time confuse the computer?

Will most smog technicians allow the fitting used for injecting hho into air intake pipe? Or will I have to remove the fitting and hho supply hose? Also will disconnecting hho and switching off efie after running these for a period of time confuse the computer?
    Well this is a bit of a touchy subject. I will have to stick to the letter of the law even though there might be ways to get around it and not get caught but I can not recommend any of them.

First you must remove the pipe to the injection point and drain the system including the bubbler. It must visually look inoperative. The EFIE must be disconnected and some require it be removed. Yes this might upset the computer and you will need to do this at least a week before you go in to give the computer enough time to adjust back to normal. Now you know why I do not put anything on California cars unless they are smog exempt!!

If you know your smog guy and have used the same guy many times you can ask him what he will allow. If he is not a real prick he will work with you and will make it as easy as he can.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by myoldyourgold View Post
    Well this is a bit of a touchy subject. I will have to stick to the letter of the law even though there might be ways to get around it and not get caught but I can not recommend any of them.

First you must remove the pipe to the injection point and drain the system including the bubbler. It must visually look inoperative. The EFIE must be disconnected and some require it be removed. Yes this might upset the computer and you will need to do this at least a week before you go in to give the computer enough time to adjust back to normal. Now you know why I do not put anything on California cars unless they are smog exempt!!

If you know your smog guy and have used the same guy many times you can ask him what he will allow. If he is not a real prick he will work with you and will make it as easy as he can.
    Thank you myoldyourgold very helpful info!