Thread: Too many amps?

Too many amps?

I have a 9-plate dry cell, with plates cut to 6x6 inches and with about 1/2 inch gaskets for each side, making about 25 square inches of sanded highest grade stainless steel plate per side. Whew, lots of info there, but hopefully it helps my question. So my goal is to make the HHO torch and I'm in the process of converting a 750 watt, 62 amp computer power supply into a bench power supply for the cell. Currently, I have less than 2% KOH in the cell (concentration measured by weight) with the cell drawing 7-8 amps with a 12v power supply set to supply 10 amps (it's a battery charger for cars). This should hopefully mean that the cell would draw up to about 50 amps with the converted bench supply. (however, it seems that the initial startup of my cell on the 10 amp psu will draw about 15 amps for only a second to startup production) Is 50 amps on this kind of setup too much for the cell to handle?
    You can look at some pictures below to get an idea of what it looks like.
    NOTES:
    I only have 9 plates for the cell because I will be using a 12v power source and have heard that about 1.5 volts per plate is best.
    ANY AND ALL RECOMENDATIONS OR SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!
    Thanks.

only have 9 plates for the cell because I will be using a 12v power source and have heard that about 1.5 volts per plate is best.
    ANY AND ALL RECOMENDATIONS OR SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!
    You will get much better results if you use 7 plates with only 12 volts. 9 plates will require 14 to 16 volts with your reactor set up.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Would 50 amps be too much for only 7 plates?

I think you need to do some more reading. Amps are controlled by the active area on one side of one plate. Do not exceed .5 amps per inch of active area. There is a lot of discussion of this. Use the search feature and look up active area etc.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

So 50 amps should be well under the max amount of amps, correct? I'll search around to learn more. Here's my math: with 7 plates at about 25 square inches per plate side, that allows ~12.5 amps per side, or 25 amps per plate, or a total of 175 amps for a seven plate cell. Well beyond what my cell is using asking for.

Of course if I remove 2 of the plates, it will draw less amps, but I could add more KOH to make up for it. Does my estimate on the last post look about right? Another side question, is the reason I'm drawing such high amps with little KOH because of the number of plates? Meaning that more plates will draw more amps with when the same amount of KOH is used?

So 50 amps should be well under the max amount of amps, correct? I'll search around to learn more. Here's my math: with 7 plates at about 25 square inches per plate side, that allows ~12.5 amps per side, or 25 amps per plate, or a total of 175 amps for a seven plate cell. Well beyond what my cell is using asking for.
    Sorry but it does not work like that. you will be limited to 12.5 amps. It is .5 amps per active area on one side of one plate. Bipolar cells in a bipolar reactor divides volts and stacks divides amps. If you have 7 plates 6 cells 5 bipolar plates and 2 unipolar plates. Volts are divided by 6 and there is only 1 stack so amps are not divided. I again suggest you read some more before you start this project in earnest. Do not confuse unipolar reactors with bipolar reactors.

That sounds like a good idea. Lol. I'll have to figure out exactly what I need in terms of output, then find a cell plan and power source to best match. The fine tuning and doing the math and figuring out the physics of the whole situation is definitely more complicated. But I'm enjoying the ride and love learning about this stuff. The most difficult part about that is finding out what exactly should be researched. First coming here, all I knew is that if you put electricity into water, it makes hydrogen, and that hydrogen can be used to make a little torch. I dove in head first hoping to learn as I built, but apparently didn't learn as quickly as I was building. Example: this is the first time I heard about unipolar and bipolar, though I have known about +,-, and neutral, however, I didn't know the details about amp limitations among many other things. Not that I want an answer directly, but knowing the major variables, would be great to know where to start research. I once heard that once you know something, you can no longer know what it is like to not know that information. Simply put, you probably don't know how few of the major concepts I actually know, that are necessary to understand where to start researching about them.