Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Build Beginnings

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Havens,

Can not tell from the picture(no perspective i.e. beer can) what size the plates are. The open corners for access to the conn. for the plates is a nice set up ( mine were surounded by the HDPE dividers which was a PITA.

I am assuming you media blasted the plates. Wondering what amp you have calculated the unit to run at and the estimated LPM. Better to over size your wire and do not make the mistake I did which was use reg. wire. Use the multi (fine strand) copper like they use for high end car stereos. You will probably have to order the ring terminal connectors from granger.

Good luck, looks great

Madman
    The plates are 10-1/2" x 4-1/8" with an active area just over 27sq. in. I estimated 4 lpm at 52 amps, but I only need 2.85 lpm for the 5.7 liter engine it will be placed on. I'll be upgrading the stock 105 amp alternator to 124 amp just to handle the extra load if i'm able to use it. I have a lot of leftover 4 ga wire from my previous cell that was in the vehicle that i'll be using for the connections. All my power connections will be connected with brass threaded rod and jam nuts between the plates, it won't be fun spinning the rod down the line but I think it will be cleaner to have the wires only near the endplates.

Frustration has certainly set in already, so today i'll be taking out my hhokitsdirect units and prepping the plates properly. Blasting/magnetize/weld-on/passivate.

I'm 5 plates in on my 35 plate unit, and i've already replaced 3 1/4" drill bits and a pair of shear bits. I'm bending the edges of my 20 GA metal more than I ever thought I would even during blasting. Any thoughts on how I could improve the life of my equipment? There has to be a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by Havens78 View Post
    Frustration has certainly set in already, so today i'll be taking out my hhokitsdirect units and prepping the plates properly. Blasting/magnetize/weld-on/passivate.

I'm 5 plates in on my 35 plate unit, and i've already replaced 3 1/4" drill bits and a pair of shear bits. I'm bending the edges of my 20 GA metal more than I ever thought I would even during blasting. Any thoughts on how I could improve the life of my equipment? There has to be a better way.
    Yikes!
    OK, here's what you do- hit a pawn shop and pick up a "Drill Doctor" sharpener and quit buying bits... Then turn the speed down on your drill press to the slowest set of pulley's, place a chunk of 2x4 under the tabs to drill them, don't drill them over the hole in the middle of the drill press table and use a couple drops of ATF with medium high pressure on the press arm. Can't stress the low speed enough...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Havens78 View Post

I gave up doing the plates along time ago and have everything done professionally. It ends up to cost a little more but worth every penny and if your time is worth as little as $1.00 an hour then you will be ahead. My time is only work FIFTY CENTS or less so had to have bigger numbers to make it worth while. LOL

If you have a blacksmith shop or other sheet metal type shop around have the holes punched instead of drilled. Most of them have big shears too and can do your shearing. I tried that when I had small numbers. It was not more than the minimum charge to have done what I needed.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Thanks for the tips, i'll make some phone calls and see what I can try tomorrow. I'm taking a day off the build today.

fustrated?

Haven,

When I started my 49 plate unipolar build I thought it would be so easy. I usually do not have much patience but I did with this. I even cut my plates including tabs (98). Just wait till you get to the elect conn. and the plumbing, 28 fittings just on the unit.

My advice is to take it real slow. Do what you can and leave it for later. No hurry no worries and you will get it done.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Maadman

Yes it has been 6 months since i started this thread but I finally have some progress.

Its no longer a uni-polar build, but its getting closer to completion. I'm looking at a different use for the warped metal I have from learning how to blast 20 ga. But that will be another project to test.

Please be kind when you see how the slots were cut, these are experiments after all.

[QUOTE]Please be kind when you see how the slots were cut, these are experiments after all.[QUOTE]

I refuse to be kind just factual. LOL Great plate design. I have seen very few that have done it right!! You nailed this one.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

[QUOTE=myoldyourgold;51707][QUOTE]Please be kind when you see how the slots were cut, these are experiments after all.

I refuse to be kind just factual. LOL Great plate design. I have seen very few that have done it right!! You nailed this one.
    All that matters is "does it work better, and how much better"?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
    All that matters is "does it work better, and how much better"?
    My last reactor that I personally built and didn't buy and then have to improve was a switchplate wet cell. So i'd say this will work much better than the last reactor I built from scratch.

Hopefully i'll have time to port the inlet and outlet ports this week. They might have to wait until this weekend though.