Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon catalyst

Carbon catalyst

I just got a news update email regarding using carbon and aluminum to generate hydrogen.

Excerpt:

"Catalytic chemistry research resulted in the discovery that an inexpensive activation
    process can convert normal carbon into a carbon catalyst that can effectively generate
    hydrogen gas from water, using a small amount of aluminum. The process uses about 3
    times more water than aluminum, and the aluminum does not have to be pure, making the
    fuel less expensive. The carbon catalyst does not require electrolytes or organic additives.
    It can operate in pH-neutral water, even if it is dirty, and can operate in sea water, the most
    abundant source of hydrogen on earth".

This sounds interesting but I could only find a few PDF files that discussed in more depth.

It was developed by a pharmaceutical company (Philips).

http://www.phillipscompany.4t.com/CT.pdf

Does anyone have more info regarding this?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    I just got a news update email regarding using carbon and aluminum to generate hydrogen.

Excerpt:

"Catalytic chemistry research resulted in the discovery that an inexpensive activation
    process can convert normal carbon into a carbon catalyst that can effectively generate
    hydrogen gas from water, using a small amount of aluminum. The process uses about 3
    times more water than aluminum, and the aluminum does not have to be pure, making the
    fuel less expensive. The carbon catalyst does not require electrolytes or organic additives.
    It can operate in pH-neutral water, even if it is dirty, and can operate in sea water, the most
    abundant source of hydrogen on earth".

This sounds interesting but I could only find a few PDF files that discussed in more depth.

It was developed by a pharmaceutical company (Philips).

http://www.phillipscompany.4t.com/CT.pdf

Does anyone have more info regarding this?
    Brent, aluminum is one of the heaviest users of energy to create and you can imagine what the cost of soda cans/scrap would go to if we all started using it. It will be like putting gas into your tank at some point or another as far as $ goes. I do not see it as a long term solution or a green solution (I put that in for the treehuggers) but is an option right now or short term.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

The byproduct is easily and safely recycled. It's very similar to refined bauxite.

There are pros and cons to it and those that have put a lot of time and money into their HHO systems may be a bit biased. But I'm all for finding new ways to make hydrogen on both large and small scale. And at the end of the day we have to use resources one way or another for energy.

If I can make my HHO system more efficient, smaller, cheaper and less caustic then I will definitely give it a try. Maybe fewer people will label us as crazy if a large pharmaceutical company become a proponent of H augmentation.

Bob Lazar of United Nuclear has labeled HHO as "bogus". Now he has to come to the realization that his hydrogen fueled car concept may have room for improvement and we might have been onto to something all along.

http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/

There are pros and cons to it and those that have put a lot of time and money into their HHO systems may be a bit biased. But I'm all for finding new ways to make hydrogen on both large and small scale. And at the end of the day we have to use resources one way or another for energy.
    I am by no means bios in fact have tried it because of some advantages possibly in California in regards with CARB. I am not going to report here what I found but I will say this and that is that there is limited gains compared to my system. Has nothing to do with how it is made its efficiency etc. either. As I said before is dose have its place short term so you give it a try and maybe we can compare notes at a later time.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

It will be interesting to play with and see what happens although there is no info on designs to start out with. Ph neutral and no heat means a lot of materials are available.

Brent, Howard Phillips made this offer:

If you might be interested, I will send you some catalyst at no charge. I ask that you agree to non-disclosure of the technical details until I can complete the patent-application process. Then, if you want to use this catalyst for personal use or in your business, I would like that. This offer will expire at the end of October, 2011
    You might contact him and he might send you some even though his offer has expired if you are interested. You should be able to contact him through his web site.

I tried to fax the ND form but the number was no good. So I will scan it and send via Email and see what happens.

Thanks for letting me know.

This is an interesting approach. The website does a good job of making it appealing. Myoldyourgold, when you say your results were minimal gains over your HHO system, is that because you saw the benefit as minimal when taking into consideration the cost of aluminum and carbon needed? If it does produce much more than normal HHO, it seems to be a good idea, even if it is more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by sbeckman7 View Post
    This is an interesting approach. The website does a good job of making it appealing. Myoldyourgold, when you say your results were minimal gains over your HHO system, is that because you saw the benefit as minimal when taking into consideration the cost of aluminum and carbon needed? If it does produce much more than normal HHO, it seems to be a good idea, even if it is more expensive.
    Sbeckman, even though I have a splitter reactor using my design and am doing more research on them. I am convinced that hydrogen by itself is not the answer. Even with the splitter I add back the oxygen but in a controlled manner and am only interested in this because of having to avoid electronics in California at the moment, so am forced to get lower results. The results with just plain hydrogen, has never been as good as quality HHO in my testing. It just does not have enough bang for your buck. This process just makes hydrogen at least that is what is said. I did not run the gas through a gas spectrometer so I really do not know what other possible gases were in the mix. I can only say it reacted similar to the hydrogen my splitter reactors make. I just can not get the same gains with hydrogen as I get with good quality HHO. The main advantage besides not needing power is it can produce large volumes so I am sure will have a use.

myoldyourgold could you provide more info on your splitter cell and the results you have be able to achieve.