Thread: Very low yield (first HHO dry cell attempt)

Very low yield (first HHO dry cell attempt)

Currently using the + n n n n n - n n n n n + config with
    1/16" 316 steel plates (4"x6") and 1/16" rubber spacers.

Alternator putz out 14.2v or something so... thats 2.4v per plate, correct?

Went to lowes and got some 100% lye (NaOH) for electrolye and added 1/2teaspn per gallon distil water

HHO production looks really low right now and not even measuring on my amp scale.. can anyone think of stupid mistakes i might have missed?

errors i can think of top of my head are :::
    .) the edge of one plate is slightly bent
    .) not enough NaOH?
    .) too small spacing?
    .) too large spacing?

Any help mucchhh appr!! i still use aim (lol) so hit me up if you want Alkaline198

Not anywhere enough NaOH. Keep adding until you get to .5 amps per active square inch on one side of one plate or until you make the amount of HHO you need which ever comes first.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

i wanted to start low% NaOH so i didnt burn myself.. I mathed that 1/2tsp was about 5grams (@2.13g/cc density NaOH) and (0.202tsp/cc) and that gallon water was 3785 grams.

I guess 0.1% NaOH is about 2 orders of magnitude lower than what you guys are suggesting on this forum?

I'll weight out 500 grams NaOH per gallon for a ~13% eletrolite by weight.. seems like alot... thats like 50 tsp NaOH per gal. is my math correct?

Maximum concentration of NaOH by weight is 20%. So for 1 liter you add 250 grams which is 20% by weight. (2.336 pounds per US gallon) I have put this in liters because of the confusion between the US gallon and Imperial gallon. Liters is easier to work with anyway. Remember that is maximum. This concentration is used with a PWM and during winter in the frozen north to prevent freezing. Follow the rules for amps per square inch of active area and work your way up adding more NaOH watching the temperature to get to your goal. Going over 20% things start to go down hill. To much heat is BAD but you do need some heat to be efficient. The stronger the mixture the more amps it will draw and the more heat it will generate, which could lead to thermal runaway, if not controlled. With the right amount the temperature will not exceed 43 C (110 F).
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .