Thread: What happens to the NaOH electrolyte

What happens to the NaOH electrolyte

So, im curious - we add lots of electrolye to the dist. water. What ends up happening to all the NaOH, does it just build up on the dry cell plates and needed to be cleaned regularly (alot of work..) or is it somehow part of the reaction. I know a little chem, so if anyone can explain- much appr!

or... is the electrolyte not part of the reaction and i only need to add NaOH one time ever and just dist water to keep it topped off?

If the reactor is running properly and not to HOT then very little NaOH escapes into the bubbler. You just need to add distilled water and check the electrolyte concentration once in a great while or when production goes down/amps drop. The NaOH does not get used up but some escapes with the moisture in the HHO to the bubbler but that is all.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Many thanks! How would i go about checking concentration? pH?

I have installed 2 bubbler/scrubbers inline. One containing vinegar and the other just rice/paper towel to absorb moisture. Will this be sufficient to netrualize any NaOH getting through? Both buble through airstones in a 1qt containter

If you are in the U.S. ACE hardware and Napa auto parts carry battery hydrometers. They are quite cheap. Many are available on line. Some links have been posted on the forum, so use the search feature to locate them.

The two bubblers should work but be careful the paper one does not get plugged up.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

First let me say MANY THANKS for your assitance thus far. I just got everything hooked up and running then i dropped my clamp-on amp meter in the snow... so i cant measure current draw to test the eff.

13 plate dry cell unit (4x6" plates) 1/16" spacing is producing about 1 liter per minute right now. That seems like at least a ball park production rate for the unit size until i can find another amp meter. I plan on ordering some silica gel for the one bubbler instead of rice once i get some more kinks worked out.

Will vinegar work fine in the long haul or should i switch to boric acid (where to find )

Cheers,

Orin

will post pictures/video once its not wet and snowy outside

What would the specific gravity of dist water and 20% NaOH read?

What would the specific gravity of dist water and 20% NaOH read?
    http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/nao...i?submit=Entry

Now thats the kind of numbers i like to see !