Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to calculate amount of KOH needed?

How to calculate amount of KOH needed?

I don't remember enough of chemistry to remember how to calculate masses needed for certain concentrations of solutions. So, I know I need a 24% KOH concentration, so how much KOH would I need for 1 gallon of distilled water?

per gallon I have found out from alot of research 2 tablespoons per gallon. I have mixed 1 tablespoon for a 2 liter bottle today.

Donor:

Your not even close. Correct me if I am wrong here guys because I always use a weaker solution, but 28% KOH is about 1 lb of KOH/gallon of water. I would imagine 24% would be a little less but certainly not only 2 tbsp.

1 gallon of water weighs 9.345 pounds. That is 149.536 ounces.

28% the maximum of KOH by weight will equal 58.153 ounces or 3.634 pounds of KOH per gallon.

20% the maximum of NaOH by weight will equal 186.92 ounces or 2.336 pounds of NaOH per gallon.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by myoldyourgold View Post
    1 gallon of water weighs 9.345 pounds. That is 149.536 ounces.

28% the maximum of KOH by weight will equal 58.153 ounces or 3.634 pounds of KOH per gallon.

20% the maximum of NaOH by weight will equal 186.92 ounces or 2.336 pounds of NaOH per gallon.
    I knew it was a lot. See, I wasn't even close.

I keep destroying fuses now with my 1 tablespoon per 2 liters of water. I don't even know what to do now. As the cell warms up i guess so do the amps. Maybe I should start at 1 teaspoon for 2 liters of water. I destroy fuses once I satrt the engine. I am way beyond ****ed off right now.

With the jeep off and power to the cell I am at 20 amps and then after a minute the fuse is blown. I am about ready to throw in the towel on this HHO thing . I an tired of putting money into this thing. I spent alot of time making this 21 plate 6x6 cell.

I keep destroying fuses now with my 1 tablespoon per 2 liters of water. I don't even know what to do now. As the cell warms up i guess so do the amps. Maybe I should start at 1 teaspoon for 2 liters of water. I destroy fuses once I satrt the engine. I am way beyond ****ed off right now.

With the jeep off and power to the cell I am at 20 amps and then after a minute the fuse is blown. I am about ready to throw in the towel on this HHO thing . I an tired of putting money into this thing. I spent alot of time making this 21 plate 6x6 cell.
    Donor, there is no need to throw in towel quite yet. First lets us get some basics done. You want some where between 1.97 to 2.3 volts per cell. That is 13.8 divided by the either 6 CELLS or 7 CELLS If I remember from another post you made you have 21 plates that are arranged like this -NNNN+NNNN-NNNN+NNNN- . In this case you have 5 CELLS in each stack. So you will be running 2.76 volts per cell. That is to high and draw to many amps for your fuse. To solve this problem I would suggest you go to this. -NNNNN+NNNNN-NNNNN+ 19 plates or better yet go to 6 N's per stack and 22 plates. You can always reduce the electrolyte and run it like it is. But 20 amps in a 4 stack will give you only 5 amps per cell and not make as much gas per cell as a 3 stack 19 plate at 6.6 amps per cell. More gas per cell with less heat. If you stay with 4 N's per stack you will need very little electrolyte. Start with a 1 teaspoon for 2 liters and add more only after it warms up if needed to get to the amps you want to draw. It will not be as efficient as a 19 plate or 22 plate reactor.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

FINALLY someone who can help me lol. I am just going to keep what I have for now and drain my electrolyte and try the solution you recommended. i was using a table spoon for 2 liters water. i have taken this thing apart so many times now because of busted 1/2 plexi and polycarbonate as well. The plastic shop gave me some white stuff and said this will work for me. No problems with breaking yet only fuses blowing up. I will write down your answer in my hho notebook and if things still don't work out I will try the other plate configuration instead. I was excited I had 2.30 lpm with the car off right off the bat but as soon as I started it up the fuse went. Does it take awhile for a cell to warm up ? Also if I have lets say 5-10 amps will it go up after in use awhile ? Sometimes I just can't find the answers I am looking for. Thanks ALOT friend.

If I wen't with the 3 stack how much electrolyte should I start with. I might just redo it that way. I just don't want to make more plates, its hard work.

Ok I did my little drawing and I have enough plates to do the -nnnnn+nnnnn-nnnnn+ which is the 19 plate design. What should I start with a concentration and what amperage fuse should I go with. I really hope you answer tonight LOL. Now I am excited about this now.

Quote Originally Posted by Donor View Post
    If I wen't with the 3 stack how much electrolyte should I start with. I might just redo it that way. I just don't want to make more plates, its hard work.

Ok I did my little drawing and I have enough plates to do the -nnnnn+nnnnn-nnnnn+ which is the 19 plate design. What should I start with a concentration and what amperage fuse should I go with. I really hope you answer tonight LOL. Now I am excited about this now.
    I would use the same mixture you have and go to a 30 amp fuse. You will most likely need to up the amount of electrolyte. Do you have an amp meter hooked up to the system? This is necessary. The reactor will draw more amps after it warms up so let it run for a while before making any changes. Keep checking the temperature. You can always add more electrolyte. Drain some of the electrolyte out and use that to mix more electrolyte in and then put it back in and let the unit run for 10 minutes at least to allow the stronger electrolyte to mix and get into the reactor. This might take much more than 10 minutes depending on your setup. If you can drain all the electrolyte and then add to it things go faster when changing concentration.