Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oscillating current & auto dutycycle control

What I intend to do is to make a resonant tank circuit and see if we can achieve maximum efficiency. Since the primary coil current for the coupling transformer/resonant-choke is minimal, have chosen to use a low power H-bridge, L298 (max 4 amps).

Just completed the schematic layout for this project. A microprocontroller will generate a low frequency (say, 0.5Hz @ 50% duty cycle) and then the polarity is alternately reversed by the H-bridge and provided to the coupling transformer at a high frequency (close to resonant frequency of a water cell). I plan to initially vary this frequency manually and later will think about automating it eg; scan through a frequency window and lock itself at resonance. In the circuit I have separated the logic voltage and the drive voltage for coil excitation. The excitation voltage can be from a variable power source (9 to 24VDC) whereas the logic voltage (for the microcontroller etc will be derived from it at 5VDC.

H-bridges that are cheap and affordable,

1. L298, dual and when run in parallel can handle upto 4amps
    2. VNH2SP30, can handle upto 30amps.

You can get them from ebay. I am now searching for a suitable core to fabricate the coupling transformer.

RTJ Nair

How is your work going?

I would just like to point out that electrolysis cells have a duality of nature as electronic devices. They are capacitive until electrolysis starts at which point they become variable resistors.

Google for "fuel cell"
    and learn more about it

Quote Originally Posted by jim131 View Post
    Google for "fuel cell"
    and learn more about it
    I was referring to the work of RTJ_Nair.

Fuel cells, I know about.