Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dry cell crapped out!!! why?!?

Thanks for the serious advice. This is Jamaica, so I guess I'd have to ignore all the strange (wth?) looks and ascertain where I can dispose of this stuff properly -instead of letting it be washed out to sea.

Hmmm... So my sub-grade plates are gonna take less amps to remain clean huh?

I have 13 plates. 7"x5.5" each. 1/2" gaskets, and let's say 85% active plate area. I'll have to do some math before I can find out how many amps I can throw at it and still remain within the .25 amp per square inch range huh?

I think I tried this before and....

6.75 amps to 8 amps max. 6 x 4.5 = 27 x .25 = 6.75 amps so I would make sure you do not go over 8 amps.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

I hope you guys realize that I was TOTALLY playing around about sucking out the sludge with my MOUTH I know its horribly cancerous

hey when you say .25 amps per square inch, let me know if this math is right please? I have 29 plates in my new cell with 5.5"x 5.5" of surface area per plate. that means 30.25" squared of surface area so times 29 plates equals 877.25 then divided by 4 (or multiplied by .25) and I get 219.32. is THIS really the max amps I could run trhough this thing?!?!

Here is the calculation. Active area on one side of one plate is what you want.

5.5 x 5.5 I take it you subtracted the gasket area. If you have you have 30.25 square inches of active area on one side of one plate. 30.25 x .25 = 7.56 amps. It is that simple. Not the total area. The same amps in a single stack goes through each plate. Now if you have more than one stack like say 2 stacks like HHOfox who has 13 plates which is 2 stacks and a max per stack of 6.75 amps so the total he can use is 6.75 x 2 = 13.5 and I think he will be ok up to a maximum of 16 amps but no more. The amps get divided between the two stacks.

Now that is clear as mud right. LOL
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

what do you mean exactly by stack? My setup is
    -nnnnnn+nnnnnn-nnnnnn+nnnnnn
    does this mean I have 4 stacks?

what do you mean exactly by stack? My setup is
    -nnnnnn+nnnnnn-nnnnnn+nnnnnn
    does this mean I have 4 stacks?
    Yes that is 4 stacks. The current will be divided by 4 and voltage will be divided by 7. So .25 amps per square inch of your plate size 5.5 x 5.5 equaling 30.25 x .25 = 7.56 x 4 = 30.24 maximum amperage for the reactor. Now remember we are talking about 304 but if it is 316 L you can go to .5 amps per active square inch of active area on one side of one plate or 60.48 amps. I also took it that you have deducted for the gasket area, ports and the dead space at the top of the plates.

Bipolar Reactor rules 101

1) A Reactor is composed of one or more cells. Each cell has an anode and a cathode.

2) A bipolar plate (neutral plate) is both an anode and a cathode (positive on one side and negative on the other).

3) The number of cells in one stack divides the voltage no mater how many stacks there is in a reactor.

4) A stack has 2 Unipolar plates (power connected plates) one an anode and one a cathode and at least 1 bipolar plate. +N- or +NNNNNN- or any number of neutral (bipolar) plates.

5) Stacks divide amperage. +NNNNNN- is one stack so is divided by 1. +NNNNNN-NNNNNN+ is 2 stacks and divides amps by 2 and so on.

6) Active area is calculated on the active area on one side of one plate less the gasket area, input and exit ports, and the dead area at the top of the plate on either side of the exit port.

7) Maximum amperage for 316 L is .5 amps per square inch of active area. Some people never exceed .25 amps per active area even on 316L and claim very good results.

8) Maximum amperage for 304 is .25 amps per square inch of active area which helps cut down on the brown mud.

So does this mean that with .5 amp per square inch his cell will be making approximately 4 lpm?

thank you MYOLDYOURGOLD for REexplaining that to me having to find all the info myself and seperate the facts from fiction has been difficult so its cool that youve been able to respond to my questions so quickly and effectively

your post is yet another that Ive copied and pasted to my word document about HHO.

also I DID extimate for gasket cut off and holes so I think the measurements are pretty dead on HOO RAAHHH!!!!

@Dixie

At this point I think it might be capable of doing something like that but it will also be dependant on temp and KOH concentration. Im going to use just enough KOH to pull maybe 15-20 Amps (ill be experimenting with MPG gains VS check engine lights) that way, when the solution starts concentrating from usage Ill be able to dial back the current with my PWM and never go past the Max concentration of KOH (28% i think?) that way I can go as long as possible without having to refill the resevoir.

Hope this works out. theres been a number of obstacles I feel that ive over come with the guidance of G&G (Google & Gold

My amps

A load of thanks for working that out for me myoldyourgold. I had worked it out to be about 7amps on friday -that is, with about 15% of the plate being dead space. Your 8amps max is right by both calcs then!
    Also your "Bipolar Reactor rules 101" course REALLLLLLY cleared up more stuff for me. The simplicity of your explanation will go a long way for me.
    Now, I wonder what grade of steel those 'SSteel step-on garbage bins' actually use.
    Anyhow, I am gonna see how my mileage changes with approx 1LPM of HHO going into it. And I'll keep tabs on the mud too.