Thread: Alternate Means of Controlling Amperage

Question Alternate Means of Controlling Amperage

Hi all, I just bounced some questions off an electrician and want to know what you think. Please feel free to fill me in where I lack knowledge, but...

A PWM is used mainly to control the amount of amperage flowing to the reactor in an HHO setup right? I know that there are other HHO applications too, but say I just want to focus on controlling amps for now.
    Has anyone ever tried using a rheostat to control the amperage going to the reactor? It costs less than a PWM, and is designed to limit amperage flow, so why not use it in this application? I would greatly prefer having to use one of these, over messing with the electrolyte in order to dial in a certain amperage for my cell.
    Am I missing something here?

Have seen no one answered so far...

Rheostat might not be cheap and depends on how much current you want to allow passing through it. Also, there usually is a mechanical wiper contact that can cause further resistance with wear and tear that could alter its stability.

A mosfet based current limiter seems a cheap alternative, solid-state and compact in size considering its current carrying capacity.

PWM can vary the power based on its "dutycycle". The below link gives a good circuit/schematic with description.

http://www3.telus.net/chemelec/Proje...-Limit-PWM.htm

RTJ Nair

PWM v Rheostat

A PWM controls average current by pulsing full voltage on and off very quickly to the generator.
    A rheostat controls current by reducing the voltage to the generator.

A rheostat would work if you don't go too far below 2V per cell, but that doesn't give you a very wide range of adjustment.

A rheostat that handles 20A at 14V will set you back way more than a PWM of similar capacity.

A PWM power control is much more efficient than a rheostat based method and is an established fact. Also, a rheostat output is a "staircase" function and in certain load applications where power factor is lag/lead is not advisable except with power-factor corrective circuits.

RTJ_Nair

Thank you both for those insightful replies. The stuff I read didn't say that the voltage would be reduced -not something I want! It seems I'll have to scratch that one from the list then.
    Hmm..a mosfet based current limiter is a better choice if I wanna keep costs down and control amperage? I'll have to check that out and see what I can come up with cost-wise.
    Maybe I could build, or have a 'simple' PWM built that would satisfy my needs? I am sure I say some schematics during my google search.
    It would be REALLY nice if a cost-effective alternative to a PWM could be found though. Any more ideas???

The Search Continues!

hey there fox, so I think dog hit the nail on the head with that one. Im a long time electrician and a rheostat will reduce the voltage as well, but them pwm's can be built at home for cheap with easy to find parts. now I havnt made my own yet butthe schematic looks simple enough.. good luck with that