Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Build- have some general questions

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalWheeler View Post
    Hello, Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. ive been busy. As far as the lye thing goes, i bought it from the hardware store, it says "pure lye" on it.

I wanted to share some results about my install. I have everything installed on my vehicle and am saving gas! I drove my truck about a 1000 miles this last week and i think it would be safe to say im saving about 20% on avarage depending on how fast im going.
    My truck is lifted and has 4:88 gears with 33inch tires. its a 2.7l engine. normally i get between 10-18mpg, 18 being coasting down a big hill and 10 in town. if im on the gas driving fast im saving about 10-20%, but if im driving conservatively and slower than the speed limit on the freeway, id have to say im getting almost 35% better mileage I got almost 25 mpg on during one part of trip. pretty exciting..... I have a broken speedo cable so my mpg from the scanguage doesnt read, but i do have gallons per hour (gph) .,... while driving with my foot steady on the gas and on a flat straight strech of road i will use my toggle switch to switch between factory and enhanced. I DO NOT know how many amps i am pulling because i dont have a working ampmeter. napa sold be a crappy amp meter that doesnt even work . Basicly i keep my pwn on 90% duty and 500khz frequency and thats it. It doesnt really get that hot, maybe 110f (dont know for sure but the cell is warm, but not tested it. I have seen a pretty significant savings but I have a few more questions and issues...

On the outside of my cell it is corroding pretty bad. all around the bolts and out side of the cell and on side...can i spray corrosion inhibiter on the out side out the cell? will post picture

can the cell be insulated?

I went on my trip and it was in cold weather so i added a lil more lye to it.

How often do i need to perform maintenance on the cell, and what should i do?

if i need to add water to my cell do i add plain water or pre-mix electrolyte solution?
    I have a feeling your next post is gonna be something like "soo I let off the gas an my truck kept going faster and faster!!!! unitl i turned off the HHO unit

What is th cause of rust? is it from outside like road salt?

the cell can be insulated if heat is not an issue

maintenance is based on your setup and usage. Only YOU can figure out how often youll need to "fix" things.

assuming youre using KOH or NaOH you should only need to top off with distilled water when needed(note some electrolyte usually comes out as vapor depending on how hot the cell is. this may need to be replaced with a light solution of electrolyte). Checking hoses and replacing/cleaning any filter media is done as needed

Hey, are you sure that the cell isn't leaking? You said that you can see signs of corrosion, so check this stuff out. You can get more out of your cell if you get rid of leaks.
    It would be great if you could tell how many amps it's pulling and also check its temp.

Quote Originally Posted by aceras624 View Post
    I have a feeling your next post is gonna be something like "soo I let off the gas an my truck kept going faster and faster!!!! unitl i turned off the HHO unit

What is th cause of rust? is it from outside like road salt?

the cell can be insulated if heat is not an issue

maintenance is based on your setup and usage. Only YOU can figure out how often youll need to "fix" things.

assuming youre using KOH or NaOH you should only need to top off with distilled water when needed(note some electrolyte usually comes out as vapor depending on how hot the cell is. this may need to be replaced with a light solution of electrolyte). Checking hoses and replacing/cleaning any filter media is done as needed
    The corrosion is most likely coming from how i have the cell mounted. I think i have figured it out. I have the cell mounted on my frame and used some ducting hose clamps to secure it. in the process in think i tightened it too much and caused the cell to split apart a bit. I loosened the clamps up and have tightend the bolts on the cell a bit. I am ordering a amp meter today so i will be able to see how many im pulling.