Thread: Early HHO questions

Early HHO questions

Hey all. Was hoping to get some questions answeard on my HHO

1.) i am getting some brown residue in the water, how can i avoid, is it bad?

2.) Is it important to filter the HHO gas through vinager to avoid engine damage

3.) is it worth it to add a PWM ? what advantages?

Quote Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
    Hey all. Was hoping to get some questions answeard on my HHO

1.) i am getting some brown residue in the water, how can i avoid, is it bad?

2.) Is it important to filter the HHO gas through vinager to avoid engine damage

3.) is it worth it to add a PWM ? what advantages?
    youre off to a good start. Ask LOTS of questions

1.) The brown water causes cancer so yes its VERY bad. Dont touch it, seriously. It is a side effect of a misused HHO generator. Going above .5 amps per square inch of ACTIVE surface area per ONE plate in each cell using 316L will cause it. .25 for lesser grade steel and less for poor grade steel(spatulas, switch plate covers etc) also, baking soda seems to encourage it. KOH or NaOH seems to be best

2.) filtering the "gas" isnt so important unless theres chance of spitting VAPOR (HHO and electrolyte vapor) into the delicate aluminum parts of your engine, which WILL oxidize. Bubbling through distillled water mixed with vinegar seems to work well for this. Controlling heat will keep the gas dry as well. You can also use dessicant or any other filter you may come up with

3.) PWM stands for Pulse Width Modulator. The best of them recomend NOT relying completely on a PWM which a device that prevents the cell from pulling too much current or more current than you want it to. Theyre one more thing to go wrong but can be really helpful if you get a good quality one. Best is to add electrolyte to the cell in a density that allows you to pull the amperage you want WITHOUT having to use a PWM to cut back the current. As the solution becomes more dense, you can use the PWM or simply top off with distilled water to drop the amperage back down. This works well unless you have below freezing temps. In that case you can use full solution 28% for KOH which wont freeze and use the PWM to dial back the amperage it pulls. I prefer the first method but use the second when it gets REALLY cold here. Either way. I think a PWM is useful but not needed if you dont mind the extra maintanance associated with NOT having one

Many thanks!

.) so my cell is 25plate (4 sections?) with 5 neutrals in each. does that mean i should only pull 12 amps? or 48max before getting brown water? I want to hit 3 liters per minute. if i cant line all the plates in one cell - i guess my other option is to separate the 25 plate cell into 2 separe dry cells and rig them in parallel?

.) i am using NaOH right now

.) running the air through an inline air filter and dumping the water that accumulates regularly

.) does the amperage pull go up significantly as the cell heats up? for example, if i measure 15amps cold will that go up ALOT as i drive for an hr or 2?