Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current Draw Questions 25plate cell (2004WRX)

Current Draw Questions 25plate cell (2004WRX)

.) so my cell is 25plate (4 sections?) with 5 neutrals in each (4x6" plates). I hear to keep it at 0.5amps per active surface area. does that mean i should only pull 12 amps? or 48max before getting brown sludgy water junk? I want to hit 3 liters per minute. if i cant line all the plates in one cell - i guess my other option is to separate the 25 plate cell into 2 separe dry cells and rig them in parallel?

.) i am using NaOH right now

.) running the air through an inline air filter and dumping the water that accumulates regularly

.) does the amperage pull go up significantly as the cell heats up? for example, if i measure 15amps (dindt actually measure yet, hypothetical) cold will that go up ALOT as i drive for an hr or 2?

.) so my cell is 25plate (4 sections?) with 5 neutrals in each (4x6" plates). I hear to keep it at 0.5amps per active surface area. does that mean i should only pull 12 amps? or 48max before getting brown sludgy water junk? I want to hit 3 liters per minute. if i cant line all the plates in one cell - i guess my other option is to separate the 25 plate cell into 2 separe dry cells and rig them in parallel?

4 x 6 plates means about 3 x 5 active area. that means each cell/pair should have 7.5 amps. Now you have 4 stacks so the total amperage can be 7.5 x 4 = 30 amps max. You will not make 3 liters with that. You will make just over 2 lpm

.) i am using NaOH right now

This is good

.) running the air through an inline air filter and dumping the water that accumulates regularly

I hope you are using a bubbler to scrub the alkaline out!!!

.) does the amperage pull go up significantly as the cell heats up? for example, if i measure 15amps (dindt actually measure yet, hypothetical) cold will that go up ALOT as i drive for an hr or 2?

Yes as the reactor heats up resistance goes down and amps go up. Depending on your concentration of electrolyte which will control where it will finally stop. If the concentration is to rich it will over heat and melt possibly the wires and cause damage to the plates but hopefully blow a fuse before all that.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

thanks for the response. do you think i can hit and keep 2LPM with this config?? without overtaxing the system?

Quote Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
    thanks for the response. do you think i can hit and keep 2LPM with this config?? without overtaxing the system?
    Your welcome any time. As long as you keep it at or under 30 amps you will not tax the reactor. 2 LPM should be doable with that reactor if everything is right. 4 stacks sometimes heat up in the center because the electrolyte level is lower in the center if flow is not exactly right. Let us know how it goes.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

Is this the point where the PWM becomes important to keep a 30amp max?? to keep the 4stacks from overheating after prolonged usage (2hr ish?)

Is this the point where the PWM becomes important to keep a 30amp max?? to keep the 4stacks from overheating after prolonged usage (2hr ish?)
    Not necessary if you have the right concentration of electrolyte and level in all cells. A PWM is an easy way but not the most efficient way but in freezing conditions necessary so you can run full strength electrolyte. Once you have found the right concentration it can be maintained without to much trouble. I use a hydrometer to check the concentration and make adjustments. You should be able to run all day with no problems. If your flow, electrolyte level and concentration is right you will not have any problem.

what is a good MMW to strive for ? my 13 plate cell was doing 1litre per minute at 14amp 12.5volt = 5.71mmw

what do some of yours run at?

what is a good MMW to strive for ? my 13 plate cell was doing 1litre per minute at 14amp 12.5volt = 5.71mmw

what do some of yours run at?
    100% Faraday in your reactor is 5.81 MMW of dry gas. So 5.71 with moisture is an excellent performer. I doubt it could be much better.

I am assuming you calculated correct. 12.5 v, 14 amps 2 stacks ,12 cells , 13 plates, active area (?), making 1 lpm. Adjusted for Barometric pressure.

13 plates, 2 stacks, 5 neutrals each. 4x6 plates--

.) 14amps at 12.5volt --> 1 litre per min

so after the gasket i guess its closer to 3.25x5.25active area= 17sq in x 0.5

looks like im over the recommended amp draw at 14 (perhaps should be ~8.5amp with my setup). maybe that is why the water was accumulating brown particles.

.) my hydrometer told me the concentration was around 10% NaOH (1.110Kg/lter at ~15C)

.) Did not notice any mpg difference in my 2004WRX at 1litre per minute

In the process of doubleing the stacks from 2 to 4 with hopes of increasing production to 2litre per minute. Aiming for 30 amp draw, just hoping that isnt too much to the point where the brown stuff builds up.

13 plates, 2 stacks, 5 neutrals each. 4x6 plates--

.) 14amps at 12.5volt --> 1 litre per min

so after the gasket i guess its closer to 3.25x5.25active area= 17sq in x 0.5

looks like im over the recommended amp draw at 14 (perhaps should be ~8.5amp with my setup). maybe that is why the water was accumulating brown particles.

With 2 stacks amps are divided between each stack. Your reactor with two stacks can take 17.6 amps and 4 stacks 35 amps max which will get over 2 LPM.

.) my hydrometer told me the concentration was around 10% NaOH (1.110Kg/lter at ~15C)

.) Did not notice any mpg difference in my 2004WRX at 1litre per minute

You might not notice any gain with two LPM either. Unless you have an EFIE etc. The alternative is to reduce your HHO to under .5 LPM and see if you get a gain. Make sure you reset the computer.

In the process of doubleing the stacks from 2 to 4 with hopes of increasing production to 2litre per minute. Aiming for 30 amp draw, just hoping that isnt too much to the point where the brown stuff builds up.