Thread: HHO on Modified Turbo gas engine

HHO on Modified Turbo gas engine

Hi All,

I am looking to add an HHO kit to my 1988 Mazda RX7 TurboII and if that works well to my 2008 Mazdaspeed 3, which has Stage 3 mods.

I was searching the site bit did not haev any information on anyone using a kit on a Rotary engine. I found some videos on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwQs-omAmNI
    but non of them where on turbo cars.

Does anyone know what kind of engine management modifications would need to be done to the Rx7 in order to run HHO? I have seen the Volo Fs2 for ODBII but nothing for a 1988.

Also, I am really interested to add a kit to my 08' Mazdaspeed 3 which has a full intake, exhaust and custom MAPs. Are there any possibilities of damaging my engine with HHO? I am afraid that the car would be tuned to run on HHO, the system will fail somehow and the car will run lean and cause damage. Is this concern warranted or just the voice of ignorance?

Hi, usually, cars with ECUs automatically adjust the Air/Fuel ratio, so if you stop making HHO, then it just goes back to the normal setting or map -no biggie. Unless your mods are so special that they do not allow for such changes, then all you should need to do is add HHO and compensate for the extra oxygen with electronics -which should not be a problem for you.
    Man, I'd love to add HCS to a racing type setup to see what kind of power increase I'd get!

I have a custom kit that I built myself installed on my WRX which is stage 2 or 290 HP AWD. I inject 1 LPM approx at 8-10 amps into the line coming from the BCS and running to the intake arm. I also use a Cobb Accessport v2 with stage 2 OTS map. This makes it easy to modify the sensor inputs like IAT and O2. I haven't touched the map sensor input nor have I needed to so far.

You should be able to get an Accessport or open source tune which should get you where you want to be. To handle fuel trimming under boost (open loop), you will want to install a good water injection kit or make one as I am doing. Then you could lean the fuel out a bit and get better average MPG if you wanted. Lots of DIY on water injection out there.

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to start with my RX7 because I was afraid of possible engine damage to my baby (08' Speed3) but after reading your response Stevo, I think I will start with my Speed3. I have 319 WHP (sorry Stevo I couldn't help myself) and also have a COBB access port.

Did you have to make any changes to the COBB maps? What are some of teh best sites to but the parts?

Quote Originally Posted by rremente View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I wanted to start with my RX7 because I was afraid of possible engine damage to my baby (08' Speed3) but after reading your response Stevo, I think I will start with my Speed3. I have 319 WHP (sorry Stevo I couldn't help myself) and also have a COBB access port.

Did you have to make any changes to the COBB maps? What are some of teh best sites to but the parts?
    Hehe that's okay. I love my AWD grip and sub 5 second 0-60.

I made changes to the O2 and IAT sensor calibration tables, but I think others tables will need to be modified as well. I'm having to replace my alternator with a 140 amp alt as they aren't so great on Subies and also throwing in a yellow top Optima battery so I will have to re-eval after I install those.

When it comes to parts, I typically just source my own stuff either from McMaster Carr or eBay (316L stainless). There is a member here who posted $0.08 / in in the For Sale forum. There are quite a few important steps to take in building your own or even after buying one in order to get things right. If you decide to build one; PM me and I'll give you some pointers.