Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How about Nickel Iron Batteries

1973dodger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1973dodger View Post
    The material you use for the negative will still need to be a material which can hold up under wet conditions, such as copper, brass, aluminum. Then the material you have to use as the positive will have to be SS, titanium, nickle, platnuim.
    I should say that i have not tried brass or aluminum as the neg., as aluminum will have a chemical reaction with the electrolite, but it is a possibility if it is hooked to the neg. no reaction will take place, chemically speaking, since it will repel the oxygen. There will be 2 forces at work here against each other. Interesting thought though.

1973 dodger

wljohns Guest

Nickel welding rods

Anyone tried them?

1973dodger Guest
    Welding rods do not provide enough surface area.

1973dodger

dlw Guest
    never mind using one of the batteries and stripping it, as the one in the picture is 1.2 volts 400 amps it's perfect for running an electrolyser.

Just have to get a battery charger to match $$$$$$$$$

djerickd Guest
    How much is one of the batteries? wouldn't want to trash one if it's too much $$$

JojoJaro Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djerickd View Post
    How much is one of the batteries? wouldn't want to trash one if it's too much $$$

$84

http://www.beutilityfree.com/batterynife/Flyer.pdf

Are you trying one? If you do, make sure you reverse the polarity. Use the Nickel OH electrode as positive and the Fe as Cathode. This may make the electrodes last longer.

Even if you trash one, the case alone itself seems to be good for your next cell.

djerickd Guest
    I think i'm going on hold off on building one for now..

Gentlemen, read my post concerning the thread "copper and gas". I think you will find it interesting to know that only the positive, which attracts oxygen, is the culprit in dissolving soft metals. Which means the electrolye is not the culprit. It is the oxygen. I think the nickle plates would hold up fine as the positive, since the better the quality of SS, such as 316l, will have a higher nickle content.

1973 dodger
    I know this is a reply to an old thread, but there is a reason they call it "oxidation"!

Most corrosion of metals (but not all), is the result of oxygen, comming in contact with wet metals.

Just as coppor tarnishes, it also is the result of oxidation (silver, brass, and bronze also oxidize, as also do other metals).

Aluminum is one of the exceptions to the rule (gold is another). Oxygen does not rapidly eat away at aluminum, but salt does. It's not that oxygen does not slowly turn aluminum, but salt eats it up rapidly.

That is why aluminum boats, use a sacrifice plate (made of lead), so the salt will work on the softer lead, instead of eating away at the aluminum boat hull (or other aluminum boat parts).

Regardless of which above metals, any sodium based product, boost the corrosion factor, but it is the combination of sodium and oxygen, that causes the fastest damage to these metals.

1973dodger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneDHorstead View Post
    I know this is a reply to an old thread, but there is a reason they call it "oxidation"!

Most corrosion of metals (but not all), is the result of oxygen, comming in contact with wet metals.

Just as coppor tarnishes, it also is the result of oxidation (silver, brass, and bronze also oxidize, as also do other metals).

Aluminum is one of the exceptions to the rule (gold is another). Oxygen does not rapidly eat away at aluminum, but salt does. It's not that oxygen does not slowly turn aluminum, but salt eats it up rapidly.

That is why aluminum boats, use a sacrifice plate (made of lead), so the salt will work on the softer lead, instead of eating away at the aluminum boat hull (or other aluminum boat parts).

Regardless of which above metals, any sodium based product, boost the corrosion factor, but it is the combination of sodium and oxygen, that causes the fastest damage to these metals.
    Dane,

I know it is widely taught all over the net, to only use ss because the electrolyte will eat away at your plates. My purpose for this thread is to teach all experimentors, including yourself, to experiment before posting something as fact. The fact is you can put copper in the electrolyte overnight or all week and nothing will happen, now if you attach it to the anode it will start disolving in a matter of minutes. My hope is all of the mis-information will stop, so it will stop wasting all our time and money with half truths concerning electrolosis. EXPERIMENT BEFORE YOU POSTS SOMETHING AS FACT, PLEASE.

1973dodger

Dane,

I know it is widely taught all over the net, to only use ss because the electrolyte will eat away at your plates. My purpose for this thread is to teach all experimentors, including yourself, to experiment before posting something as fact. The fact is you can put copper in the electrolyte overnight or all week and nothing will happen, now if you attach it to the anode it will start disolving in a matter of minutes. My hope is all of the mis-information will stop, so it will stop wasting all our time and money with half truths concerning electrolosis. EXPERIMENT BEFORE YOU POSTS SOMETHING AS FACT, PLEASE.

1973dodger
    I considered the fact that current would be added, to be as comparable to building a boat.

There's no point to it, if your afraid to get it wet!

Don't misunderstand me to be argumentative.

I don't mean to be argumentitive, but the concept is to produce HHO, which requires a current source.

Electrolysis, is a product of current. be it the current which is in the earth, or intentionally introduced.

The reaction is not between the copper, and the plates, or the copper and the water......

until, current is added!