Thread: Cell Shape Misunderstanding

Cell Shape Misunderstanding

Hello,

I've been talking to a member from HHO Forums ( Quebecker ) through e-mails, and he said that, for efficiency, a reactor should have a rectangular form, such as figure a)

I presume that this reactor would be efficient because it has less "dead" area above the top hole/holes/slots.

___
    | |
    | | a)
    |___|

Now, in one of Mike's videos, he said that a reactor would be more efficient if shorter and wider, so that the bubbles travel less distance to the top of the plates and can get away quicker. It would be a rectangle such as figure b)

What do you think about this ? Personally, I'm confused at this moment.

Also, for my first build, I want to use 50 square inches plates, what sizes should I use ? Ex: 7" x 7" or 5" x 10", or 6" x 8" etc.

Andrei.

Edit: For some reason, the shapes that I made are kinda distorted, but I hope you get the idea.

a) tall and narrow rectangle

b) short and wide rectangle

I've been talking to a member from HHO Forums ( Quebecker ) through e-mails, and he said that, for efficiency, a reactor should have a rectangular form, such as figure a)

I presume that this reactor would be efficient because it has less "dead" area above the top hole/holes/slots.

___
    | |
    | | a)
    |___|

Now, in one of Mike's videos, he said that a reactor would be more efficient if shorter and wider, so that the bubbles travel less distance to the top of the plates and can get away quicker. It would be a rectangle such as figure b)

What do you think about this ? Personally, I'm confused at this moment.

Also, for my first build, I want to use 50 square inches plates, what sizes should I use ? Ex: 7" x 7" or 5" x 10", or 6" x 8" etc.
    "B" is correct. You want the bubbles to travel as little as possible. There are many good reactors that work very well that are the other way but in my opinion would work even better, where the bubbles travel the shorter distance. You need to have slots on the top of a rectangle shaped plate that is horizontal where on one that is perpendicular you can get away with a hole but do loose efficiency. You want the gas to escape easily and not to have to bounce off the top and hunt for the exit. Gas flow at the top is an important factor in efficiency.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Thank you for the clarification.

You didn't respond to my last question though... What's a good size for a build that would use plates of 50 square inches ?

Should I go with square ( 7" x 7" ) or rectangle ( 5" x 10" ) ?

Also, you stated that it's good to have a slot for a horizontal rectangle, and a hole for a vertical rectangle. What about a square shaped cell ?

Your help is very much appreciated,

Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by myoldyourgold View Post
    "B" is correct. You want the bubbles to travel as little as possible. There are many good reactors that work very well that are the other way but in my opinion would work even better, where the bubbles travel the shorter distance. You need to have slots on the top of a rectangle shaped plate that is horizontal where on one that is perpendicular you can get away with a hole but do loose efficiency. You want the gas to escape easily and not to have to bounce off the top and hunt for the exit. Gas flow at the top is an important factor in efficiency.
    Hi Carter,

Something like that ?

Civic Si 4 doors 2004, 1.7 liters V-TEC
    5N2 reactor
    CCPWM @ 7 amp
    1 Gal Capacity
    ~2% NaOH
    Waterless Peat Moss Bubbler

I use slots in all cases for the exit ports and i never cut the corners. The reason is gas comes up and bounces off the corners and then finds its way to the exit. I want to avoid all bouncing and get the gas out as quick as possible. Keep the gaskets square in the corners.

Over 6 x 6 I always recommend going with a rectangle in the horizontal position. Some time space does not allow it and one has to have some trade offs to have a neat install. I use tabs for connections. All of this costs more but results are better. If you use tabs put slots instead of holes in the tabs. Do not forget to subtract the area the gasket uses from your active area. I always us 1/2 inch wide gaskets and have never had a leak as long and the reactor was put together properly.

Reni, I would keep the gasket square in the corners and put two slots at the top with a small divider in the middle for strength.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Thanks for the tips ! You're very helpful.

I too have been desperatly searching for the perfect drycell design.. this place is great. all I have to do is be patient and read and everything just comes to me..
    thanks for the thread and thanks for the answers,,,