Thread: Safety valve, Check valve, Arrestor specifications

Safety valve, Check valve, Arrestor specifications

Hello,

I found a supplier in my town ( Montreal ) which sells all these kinds of plumbing accessories.

However, I'm not sure if they're suited for this kind of application ( HHO reactor ).

I found this 2 check valves: http://www.aimsfasteners.com/product...ll_valves.html
    http://www.aimsfasteners.com/product...rd_chkval.html

The first one seems more "precise" and "sensitive" than the second one. It says it senses backflow pressure as little as 0.5 PSI. And it works with pressure up to 150 PSI. Is it good ? Or should I go with the second one which is "standard".

I also found this relief valve: http://www.aimsfasteners.com/metal_relief_valve.html
    It says "cracking pressure from 0.5 to 900 PSI". I don't really get it.. Is this the type of valve that I'd have to use on my bubbler for safety pressure relief ? ( In case of explosion, or too much pressure )

I didn't find any flash arrestors on their site, but I think they should have arrestors too...

What specifications should the arrestor have ? In terms of PSI.

I expect my build to produce around 1 LPM.

Looking forward to some tips,

Andrei.

Edit:

I also found some in-line filters : http://www.aimsfasteners.com/product...e_filters.html

Could one of this filters replace the airstone diffuser that I should use in the bubbler ? Or could I maybe use it along with an airstone diffuser ?

And I found a Flow Control Valve : http://www.aimsfasteners.com/miscell...alves.html#685

Would a Flow Control Valve be any useful ?

These are all for water as a whole not the "gas" it produces! You would not benefit from any of these. Flash arrestors are exactly what it says, FLASH arrestor, for flames! You can make one of the many on here or the net or you can buy one of many different types, I personally use a Flash arrestor from a welding supply shop that's designed for this specific purpose. Oxy/Act. flashback arrestor to be exact.
    Its done right or its not done !
    Hail HHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Madsceintist View Post
    These are all for water as a whole not the "gas" it produces! You would not benefit from any of these. Flash arrestors are exactly what it says, FLASH arrestor, for flames! You can make one of the many on here or the net or you can buy one of many different types, I personally use a Flash arrestor from a welding supply shop that's designed for this specific purpose. Oxy/Act. flashback arrestor to be exact.
    Madsceintist have you tested your Oxy/Act. arrestor against flashbacks?
    I am considering the same for my own build.

You're right, they most likely don't sell flashback arrestors. I made some more research about the difference between all these valves and I see the difference now.

What about the valves that they're actually selling ?

Could I use 1-2 check valves between the reservoir and the bubbler in order to prevent water being sucked from the bubbler to the reservoir, when the system is cooling ?

Or the safety/pressure relief valve on top of the bubbler in case of a backfire that doesn't get "flash arrested" and causes an explosion in the bubbler ?

Or the inlet filter to help clean the electrolyte ? I'm not sure if this one would help too much since the electrolyte is carried in gas form too, and those valves and accessories, as you said, are for water flow. But at least it would hold some of the electrolyte that is still liquid. I could use it just before the diffuser inside the bubbler. Any thoughts ?

I still have a lot to learn about HHO, but I love it

Weapon R;
    Absolutely, works every-time no problem !

whear;
    If you have water being sucked into the reservoir, you have a vacuum leak in the system, probably in the cell. Or your reservoir is to low compared to your cell.
    If the flash reaches your cell chances are the cells coming apart in pieces. Unless you have a really good relief valve that doesn't leak(not likely), then you'll have problems. You should have a flashback arrestor in line near the intake to prevent any flash from going any further than that. Your bubbler should also be the last stop if it gets that far! So in essence you could have your relief valve there, if any.

I had a long moment of thought while driving the last 13 hours. The bobblers idea Sodbuster has is cool but I was looking at a filter I was playing with that had package popcorn in it. A 3 in. tube with the gas outlet at the top and the gas inlet at the top with the tube for inlet ran to the bottom, and the tube full of the foam popcorn up to a mesh screen to hold the popcorn down since it likes to float, then fill it with water about half full. Some of the popcorn will remain under water to defuse the electrolyte and break up the bubbles. The other popcorn will help to prevent water slosh. The mesh keeps the foam pushed down and keeps any from being sucked into the outlet port.

By the way the foam popcorn doesn't absorb anything...................

Just an idea !!
    Its done right or its not done !
    Hail HHO.

Mad I had forgotton to ask how much did you pay for the arrestor.
    Also do you have any idea how its made? I am most curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Madsceintist View Post
    Weapon R;
    Absolutely, works every-time no problem !

whear;
    If you have water being sucked into the reservoir, you have a vacuum leak in the system, probably in the cell. Or your reservoir is to low compared to your cell.
    If the flash reaches your cell chances are the cells coming apart in pieces. Unless you have a really good relief valve that doesn't leak(not likely), then you'll have problems. You should have a flashback arrestor in line near the intake to prevent any flash from going any further than that. Your bubbler should also be the last stop if it gets that far! So in essence you could have your relief valve there, if any.

I had a long moment of thought while driving the last 13 hours. The bobblers idea Sodbuster has is cool but I was looking at a filter I was playing with that had package popcorn in it. A 3 in. tube with the gas outlet at the top and the gas inlet at the top with the tube for inlet ran to the bottom, and the tube full of the foam popcorn up to a mesh screen to hold the popcorn down since it likes to float, then fill it with water about half full. Some of the popcorn will remain under water to defuse the electrolyte and break up the bubbles. The other popcorn will help to prevent water slosh. The mesh keeps the foam pushed down and keeps any from being sucked into the outlet port.

By the way the foam popcorn doesn't absorb anything...................

Just an idea !!