Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEFIE Instructions Confusing?

DEFIE Instructions Confusing?

Am I the only one who thinks that HydrogenGarage.com's DEFIE instructions are terrible?

I've read so much conflicting info from them.... Their website says they ususally start at 200mw (adjustment) on their DEFIE units, then they say to raise the voltage as high as possible before your car starts to bog down....
    I emailed them the other day and they said "350mw is lean and 150mw is SUPER lean...."

So which one is it? I specifically mentioned Adjustment voltage, but maybe they skipped over it.

Main point of this post is.... I dont know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried 12amps, I've tried 8amps... Around 200mw, 300mw, 350mw (adjustment). Seems to all have the same fuel usage....

1989 Toyota Corolla GTS Fuel Injected, Narrow Band O2 sensor (factory one, probably not zirconium, is there really a difference?), HHO Green Fuel 19 Plate unit, 8amps should be .5lpm, and 12amps should be just under 1lpm. Hydrogen Garage's DEFIE.

When I have 12amps and around 310mw it seems like I have power loss between 3 and 4 rpms, then I get a rush of power (during accel). 8amps at 310mw seemed more stable but still a little power loss.

When I dropped it to 200mw at 12amps (today) it seems like everything is very smooth, but I'm not sure if thats because it is dumping in extra fuel....

http://hydrogengarage.com/DEFIE/sensorsadjustment.pdf

------ sorry for such the long rant, I've just been adjusting various things for the past week with no real results.-----

sorry for the spelling errors, not really important today i guess....

oh, and I have a MAF device, just curious if this is something I really need to adjust also....

Lower voltage means leaner mixture..higher voltage is richer.
    I just went through all of this and i have been hovering around 200mv. Although i am still fine tuneing.

What kind and year of cat do you have, how much gas are you pushing, and what kind of increase are you getting?

Are you using hydrogen garage's defie?

Quote Originally Posted by speedgp View Post
    what kind and year of cat do you have, how much gas are you pushing, and what kind of increase are you getting?

Are you using hydrogen garage's defie?
    02 jeep liberty 3.7 v6 4x4....not quite sure how much i am producing exactly..i would guess about 1-1.5 lpm. I just reached 24.5mpg from 18mpg. I am useing hhoelectronics efie. Other mods also done.
    Does yours have activity led's?

It has an on light and and a programming light. After reading something on their website it says "most efie's are dividers, the defie is a subtractor"

Why would this work for increasing voltage to lean out?

Gahh....

So you're sticking with the "one quarter to half hho/min per one liter of engine displacement"?

I just need to take a min and use a good multimeter and find out what the true offset is on this defie....

What other mods did you have done?

I have done the cts mod..map enhancer mod...iat mod and the efie. I am goin by the 1/4 lpm. If you have the activity led lights...they should flash when idleing or at cruising speed...this means your pretty close on your setting. Also..double check your install to make sure the wiring is correct. Are you getting a check engine light?

thats the the really odd thing.... I havent gotten ONE check engine light.... and I've had it very lean and also very rich...

i was thinking about disconnecting the battery for a bit...maybe reset my ecu.... old car though, dont think it really "learns" though...

Are you getting any change in performance when adjusting? The vehicle should start to run rough when you are leaning out the mixture. If your install is correct and your getting no change in performance, you may have to go with trial and error. some vehicles will automaticly richen the mixture to keep the vehicle from stalling so nomatter what you do you may not see any "stumble". Do you have a scan tool? If not, you can do what I did and go the "poor mans route". If you have a smart phone, download the TORQUE app and order the OBDII bluetooth adapter from ebay. This gave me everything I needed to be able to tune without tuning blind..ie. fuel trims, 02 outputs, map readings etc. Thats if you have OBDII. I guess I should ask what vehicle you are working on and if you have done any other mods.
    I am a newbie but have learned ALOT over the past weeks with my install. I hope the info I am giving you will help you. I'm no expert but have spent alot of time researching and will help with what I can.

Nope, no OBD.... It does change, I can make it sputter, just not sure if that was because of too much fuel or to little... I'll have to test that again after this 250mv test. I dont think that my car is smart enough to have an Anti-Stall...thing...

I'm also wondering if I'm injecting too much gas.... I'm probably putting about .8 to 1 liter per min. I probably should only be putting .4 to .8 liters in.

I should drop it back to 8 amps instead of 12 amps....if this test of 250mv yields the same results, I'll bump it down to 8 amps and then fiddle some more....

too many variables...