Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sealing plates idea

djerickd Guest

Sealing plates idea

I had an idea (may have been done before):

What about dipping 2 opposite sides of a squared cell into some marine goop so it forms a thin "goop wall" on the sides of the cell. Then if placed into water with only the top and bottom-sides "open" (not sealed up), do you think that the water after heating would be forced by convection current to flow upward and around then down the sides of the cell, thus would maintain the a cooler temperature the unit, hopefully knocking bubbles upward off the plates, and the sealed edges also would prevent stray current from leaking out.

thoughts?

That sounds like it might just work. I know that silicon tends to come off during the electrolysis process, so I would like to know how it turns out.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

LinChiek Guest
    my plates produce lots of bubbles at the edges..... planning to change design to spiral wire......

djerickd Guest
    I guess my idea is like shrink wrapping the cell...

dlw Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LinChiek View Post
    my plates produce lots of bubbles at the edges..... planning to change design to spiral wire......

I am having the same idea, cheap option is catenary wire

djerickd Guest
    wire? whats wrong with plates?! <-----noob question

A lot of guys are doing just what you described with the shrinkwrap. I came up with a free solution (at least for testing). I used a piece of motorcycle innertube. Check out my video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK2oa5-cvj0

Do your own testing, but I think I get better production with it.

djerickd Guest
    thats a great idea! thank you so much!

mwilliams1966 Guest
    What about using a roll on bed liner?
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/HERCULINER-...FRKhxgodgA0ldQ
    Not sure what the temp rating is or how it will react to the process, but might be worth a try.

Dewayne Guest
    Why not just carefully paint the edges with marine spar varnish? Or try a produect called "Plasti Dip", it's used to cover tool handles and can be purchased from Lowes.

It contains naphtha, hexane, xylene, topuene and acetone. I don't know if these wil produce any bad gases. Maybe someone can comment on that.