Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Octane

Fuel Octane

Hello,

I'm currently using 91 Octane Fuel, without HHO.

After I will start injecting HHO, should I stick with 91 Octane ? Or 87 will be almost as good ?

I'm thinking that HHO has a positive effect on the fuel's octane, thus increasing the rating. But I'm not sure.

Does anyone know what's the relationship between HHO injection and fuel octane ?

Thanks.

P.S. I'm driving a 2001 VW Jetta 1.8T @ 24 MPG ( city ) with 91 octane fuel. Never tried 89 or 87.

higher octane fuels dont just burn better but also have mor edetergents in them to keep a cleaner engine. HHO both helps the fuel burn better AND keeps the engine cleaner but NOT by adding a detergent but rather by having a more complete burn. I guess it depends on the reason you are using higher octane to begin with. Was this your choice or VW's recomendation? you should probably use the higher octane until you get your HHO dry cell up and running and providing you gains

Hi,

Thanks for replying

I'm not sure what fuel grade VW recommends, but the previous owners of the car used 91 octane fuel. So I just put the same thing, not wanting to cause any anxiety to the engine

All materials are now on the way.

Can't wait to put into practice all the knowledge gathered from you guys !

WOOT !

Thanks again !

Quote Originally Posted by aceras624 View Post
    higher octane fuels dont just burn better but also have mor edetergents in them to keep a cleaner engine.
    the octane rating is the resistance to detonation which damages the engine,

too low of octane with lean out, knock and ping

more detergents and a cleaner fuel is false on higher octane gas, its just as clean as 87, the number is just the resistance to detonation, higher compression engines and boosted vehicles need the higher octane to prevent knocks and detonation

To answer the question of octane rating. Higher octane burns better so it burns less fuel and the higher the octane the less the knock. Simple.

Two cars identical; #1 87 octane, #2 93 octane, # 2 will get more miles per tank than #1 because the fuel burns much better with more power which gives the need for less throttle, creating less load, in return less resistance from the engine. The offset here is the price difference in the fuel!

My Suburban runs so much better on 93 than 87 but the difference in cost doesn't warrant the use of it.

Most foreign models from Europe will recommend a higher rating of fuel as the engine both runs better and will have more power. They rate there cars horsepower with high octane fuels. Not our low grade petrol. If your car has ran on 91 octane for x number of years you will instantly notice a difference in power and performance if you drop to a lower octane fuel.

HHO doesn't "bring" the octane rating up, it helps to burn the fuel(whatever it be), at a faster rate which gives you more power with less fuel consumption. Be it as your burning less fuel with a higher ratio of power, your wasting less fuel and decreasing the hydrocarbons that are unburnt, which gives you a much "cleaner" exhaust.
    Its done right or its not done !
    Hail HHO.

Thank you for the explanation !

So you're saying that HHO increases the flame speed of the burnt gasoline. It doesn't burn it more complete, just faster. So you get the same power for less gasoline.

And octane rating affects how complete the burn is. The higher the rating, the more complete the burn is. And it doesn't increase the speed of the burn. But it does give you the same power for less gasoline.

So they both increase efficiency, but in different manners.

octane

all vehicles have an octane rating that differs from each engine. octane is your fuels ability to resist combustion due to compression. If your running a naturally asperated low compression engine you will require a lower octane rating vs a high compression or forced induction engine. A motor at 11:1 compression ratio is going to need a min of 94 octane and less comp will lower the neeed for higher octane. So if your car requires a octain rating 87,89,91,94,105 you never want to fall below the octane rating thats when you may have detonation issues.

madscientist as always loads of info thanks to you and all the others for making this site what it is...

Be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by reggaerican View Post
    madscientist as always loads of info thanks to you and all the others for making this site what it is...
    A large portion of the information on this site is outright wrong. Sections have good information mixed in with poor. Pseudo science abounds.

It can be difficult to separate the useful from the useless.

Just a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
    A large portion of the information on this site is outright wrong. Sections have good information mixed in with poor. Pseudo science abounds.

It can be difficult to separate the useful from the useless.

Just a warning.
    As with everything and anything in life or business, YOU must weed out the crap. Sometimes is difficult.
    Its done right or its not done !
    Hail HHO.