Page 68 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast

Thread: Painless experiment in HHO

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    Lowrider,

I did see your post about that software, it looks awesome! Unfortunately, it seems to be made for BR chip interfaces where as mine is based on the ELM chip. Going to give it a try anyway!

Thanks!

Russ.
    I just went outside to my truck and tried that software, unfortunately, it doesn't work with my ELM chipped interface.

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Just out of pure interest, I performed some electrolysis this morning using two small identical magnets as the electrodes. It was interesting to watch the different ways in which the oxygen and hydrogen bubbles behaved based upon how the magnets were presented to each other:

Unfortunately, I'm not sure which pole is which on my magnets, but I did observe:

A) When the magnets were placed in the water magnetically aligned in one direction (i.e. N->S) the hydrogen and oxygen both streamed away from each other in opposite directions away from the electrodes.

B) If the magnets were place in the water magnetically aligned in the other direction, the oxygen streams from the positive electrode towards the negative and the hydrogen streams from the negative away from both electrodes.

C) When the magnets are placed in the water with like poles facing, (i.e. S -> S or N -> N) in one case the oxygen streams from the positive towards the negative and the hydrogen streams away from both electrodes.

D) When the magnets are placed with like poles facing, but the other way around, the oxygen streams away from the electrodes and the hydrogen streams towards the positive.

Now, this was just an experiment of interest more than anything else and would be more useful if the poles of the magnets could be determined, but then that is probably possible from the results of the above.

One useful result I can see if outcome A, this presents a method by which neither the hydrogen or the oxygen will be attracted to an electrode after splitting which may help improve production.

Russ.

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    Since getting my ELM OBD cable I've been looking at scantool software, there are some great products such as PCMSCAN, but they cost a fair amount of money. I've been looking at what is free for now.

After reviewing the voltage requirements of my old Thinkpad laptop, I've managed to get it running off of straight 12v from my vehicle. I've been playing with EasyOBDII on my way home from work this evening (I left early) and recorded some simple log files. They only show the data that you're currently viewing, but I've posted links to them here for anyone that's interested in what my Ram is doing without HHO:

EasyLogger121008180823.txt

EasyLogger121008182708.txt

I remember that Mike commented before about my Ram's ignition advance seeming to be very high, you'll note that it goes beyond 40+ degrees at some points.

If anyone knows of any free software that does more comprehensive logging, please let me know!

Russ.
    All most all newer vehicles will advance the timing that much to help fuel mileage. Under light throttle or decel ignition timing is advanced because NOX emissions wont be that high so to to help fuel MPG they can advance timing that high.

If anyone is bored right now, come and join in the Open Source Energy Round Table over at:

http://www.opensourceenergy.us/open-...gy-round-table

See you there.

Russ.

Russ, with your magnet experiment, did you use straight water, distilled, or electrolyte (with NaOH) and if you used electrolyte how strong was your solution??

I think you might have discovered something useful here...

also, did you use only magnets, or magnets with some plates hooked up to power ??

thanks
    mike
    Individually our voices are but a whisper, only together will we be heard.
    ENERGY SHOULD BE AND WILL BE FREE

Quote Originally Posted by daddymikey1975 View Post
    Russ, with your magnet experiment, did you use straight water, distilled, or electrolyte (with NaOH) and if you used electrolyte how strong was your solution??

I think you might have discovered something useful here...

also, did you use only magnets, or magnets with some plates hooked up to power ??

thanks
    mike
    Mike,

This was NaOH based electrolyte, about a litre of water with a teaspoon of NaOH.

I hooked the magnets directly into the crocodile clips and actually used them as the electrodes.

I have more tests planned for tomorrow based on some inspiration I've had tonight.

Russ.

I am in need of some advice from our resident ASE's and other experts, my truck seems to be sick and gave me a major headache on the way to work today:

This problem has occurred once or twice over the past week, however, today it hit twice in a short time period, the first time stalling out my truck. The second time I was able to pull off the road before it stalled.

The first time, I was waiting at a stop light, when the light went green I pulled off and noted the engine starting to shudder a little and feel under-powered. I looked over at my ScanGauge and my bank one short fuel trim was way off normal. Normally, my long and short term trims run at single digits + or -, the SFT for bank 1 was showing -33. Within about 10 seconds the SFT for bank 2 went the same way, at this point I could only move the truck by very gentle use of the gas pedal, anything harder and it wanted to cut out. By this time, the long term trims were also showing -33 at which point the truck finally stalled.

I restarted and pulled into a parking space, no CEL codes had been registered and everything looked normal again.

I went into Walmart, when I came out I drove off onto the highway and noticed the truck start to shudder a little again, the STFT on bank 1 were back to -33. I pulled over into a service station and checked out the raw o2 sensor signals with my ScanGauge, bank 1 upstream sensor was shows 127 (equivelant of a 1.27 volt signal), the downstream sensor was showing the same reading.

The CEL finally came on and I collected the following codes:

P0300 - Random / Multiple cylinder misfire detected
    P0AAC
    P0004
    P0A64

I can't find the last three codes anywhere, not even in my trucks service manual.

I reset the ECU and continued on to work, everything seems OK after the reset so far.

I'm a little worried as to what may have caused this, I haven't been running any HHO for some time and all my electronic mods are bypassed. I do still have the extenders on the downstream O2's, but I doubt very much that they would cause this problem.

I'm thinking that a misfire would have caused a flood of unburnt fuel in the exhaust which would have triggered rich and caused the ECU to try and lean out the mixture. Looks like I may have an ignition related issue?

Can anyone offer any insight?

Russ.

One code

Found this code on this forum, p0003 or 4

Code:
    http://www.batauto.com/Forums/index.php?action=search2
    You'll have to put the P0004 code in the search bar.

Thanks for that link! Here's what I found for P0004:

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_SXT
    I've never gotten a P0004, but I guess I'd start looking at the fuel pressure regulator & any circuits relating to it...

"P0004--- Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit High" is what I'm coming up with for that code...

Also, I'm wondering after doing a little research, if TSB #18-09-98 maybe applies... Was Ethanol fuel used?
    Time to read up on the regulator control circuit, I guess.

Well, I just looked up the fuel pressure regulation in my service manual, it says that fuel pressure is maintained at 58 PSI (+ or - 2 PSI) by a mechanical device that is not controlled by the ECU or any other electrical systems.