Page 118 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1195

Thread: Painless experiment in HHO

Stu,

I have to admit that my thoughts of late have been along similar lines to yours.

Our aim, for increase of mpg, is to increase the amount of fuel that contributes to the power stroke. Do I feel that HHO can help us achieve this? Absolutely, however, the overhead of producing the HHO and of producing enough for the larger engines makes this a difficult goal to achieve.

Personally, I feel that other technologies offer less resource hungry paths to reduce gasoline consumption:

Fuel vapourisation
    Plasma spark

I also feel that water injection is viable, however, it apparently reduces thermal efficiency and provides boost via thermal expansion instead.

Air restriction also seems viable, although it apparently only applies to certain vehicle designs.

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Fuel vaporisation is a very simple setup. The gentlemen I spoke to this weekend is on youtube as onecraftydude and details his build there. The system basically involves introducing heat to the fuel line by running it through a metal tubing that is wrapped around the exhaust. In addition, intake air is sucked through the top of a bowl of gasoline, forcing air to be pulled in from under the gasoline.

The system in his van was much simpler, a part of the fuel intake was wrapped with a heating element (electrical).

Russ.

I've finally managed to collect all the bits and bobs I need to start experimenting with plasma spark ignition. I picked up some alligator clips from Radio Shack and will be putting together a project box tomorrow morning for my experiments.

The main things I'm interested in experimenting with:

- Spark Plug technology, plasma currently eats plug electrodes for breakfast.
    - Water explosion / implosion process, planning on testing this with a small 5hp briggs and stratton 4-stroke engine.
    - Effects of plasma spark on a gasoline powered ICE.
    - Simplifying the circuit to remove the requirement for AC from an inverter.

I'm hoping to make a video tomorrow that will show my test setup, if I have it together before I head to work.

Russ.

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    I've finally managed to collect all the bits and bobs I need to start experimenting with plasma spark ignition. I picked up some alligator clips from Radio Shack and will be putting together a project box tomorrow morning for my experiments.

The main things I'm interested in experimenting with:

- Spark Plug technology, plasma currently eats plug electrodes for breakfast.
    - Water explosion / implosion process, planning on testing this with a small 5hp briggs and stratton 4-stroke engine.
    - Effects of plasma spark on a gasoline powered ICE.
    - Simplifying the circuit to remove the requirement for AC from an inverter.

I'm hoping to make a video tomorrow that will show my test setup, if I have it together before I head to work.

Russ.
    We are all waiting. I would love to see more of that.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Thanks for the links!

My first video is up on youtube:

Since making the video I've already managed to blow another ten diodes and melt my only spark plug. I need to do some digging for some decent very high voltage and high amperage diodes, or perhaps somebody knows how to make one that will stand up to these stresses?

I'm switching to nails for now instead of a spark plug until I get my diode and capacitor situation correct.

Russ.

Looking good, Finally a clear description of what is going on. Now to find a spark plug that will last longer than a few hours.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Isn't it sort of redundant to to refer it as a plasma spark? Aren't all visible electrical sparks considered plasma? Whether you use 12v or 110v they both generate plasma; just one more than the other.

Ok, off my semantics soap-box now
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    Isn't it sort of redundant to to refer it as a plasma spark? Aren't all visible electrical sparks considered plasma? Whether you use 12v or 110v they both generate plasma; just one more than the other.

Ok, off my semantics soap-box now
    You're absolutely right, q-hack! The name seems to have stuck though, a more correct term would be 'High ampage plasma'.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    Thanks for the links!

My first video is up on youtube:

Since making the video I've already managed to blow another ten diodes and melt my only spark plug. I need to do some digging for some decent very high voltage and high amperage diodes, or perhaps somebody knows how to make one that will stand up to these stresses?

I'm switching to nails for now instead of a spark plug until I get my diode and capacitor situation correct.

Russ.
    Russ,

In a very short time, you have done amazingly well!

Years ago, when I was inventing a dual spark plug, I also invented (in my mind) a multiple capacitance discharge ignition that would send out multiple sparks, one after the other.

It turned out that shortly thereafter a friend pointed out a magazine article that showed this concept for sale. They were about a year ahead of me.

My point is that a high voltage racing type spark plug/ignition sent 2 or 3 times for each firing would ignite all that could be ignited.

The multiple sparks would trigger each other an be very close in time.

BoyntonStu

Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post
    Russ,

In a very short time, you have done amazingly well!

Years ago, when I was inventing a dual spark plug, I also invented (in my mind) a multiple capacitance discharge ignition that would send out multiple sparks, one after the other.

It turned out that shortly thereafter a friend pointed out a magazine article that showed this concept for sale. They were about a year ahead of me.

My point is that a high voltage racing type spark plug/ignition sent 2 or 3 times for each firing would ignite all that could be ignited.

The multiple sparks would trigger each other an be very close in time.

BoyntonStu
    I've just been digesting the large PDF that Shane provided the link for. In that document it is suggested that multiple HV discharges after the plasma discharge will 'push' the plasma ball out away from the plug and into the cylinder. This could a) reduce plug wear and b) provide an even more complete burn along the lines you suggest.

Russ.