Thread: Neutral plates?

Neutral plates?

Why would neutral plates produce more gas? wouldnt the larger distance from + to - increase resistance, and on top of that you add dead plates? to me it sounds like production would decrease greatly. why not use -+-+-+-+?

also, .5 amps is the magic number right? how can i calculate how many plates i will need to get this?

im about to build my first dry cell after testing variables on a wet cell and i want to only buy what i need and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by hhotb View Post
    Why would neutral plates produce more gas? wouldnt the larger distance from + to - increase resistance, and on top of that you add dead plates? to me it sounds like production would decrease greatly. why not use -+-+-+-+?

also, .5 amps is the magic number right? how can i calculate how many plates i will need to get this?

im about to build my first dry cell after testing variables on a wet cell and i want to only buy what i need and nothing more.
    Nuetral plates drop the voltage between electrodes. +-+-+-+-+ would yield 12 volts between plates assuming your source is 12 volts. plenty of HHO but TONS of heat. Heat is wasted energy and causes "thermal runaway"

Now add Neutral plates lets say -N+ to make things simple. From the first plate to the nuetral plate only 6 volts would be measurable. from the - electrode to the + electrode, still 12 volts.

Continue adding nutrals and you continue to divide voltage. Ideal voltage between plates is <2 volts. so we add another nuetral to divide voltage to where we want it between plates. Car battery is 12 volts and holds up to 13.8-14.4 voltz while the altenator is charging. The more inneficiencies you have the more the altenator will need to charge, wasting energy/gas/HP etc

these cells im refering to are called "Bipolar reactors" the "neutral plates" technically have both charges, hence bipolar.

Unipolar generators have a different set up, take large ammounts of space, time, funds etc and can produce TONS of HHO safely at high amperages. For the most part, we all use Bipolar reactors. They make plenty of HHO for what we need.

.5amps per square inch of active area per single plate per single stack is what you are refering to. With enough electrolyte concentration, this is easily achieved in most any size reactor of reasonable size. Youre not looking to hit that .5 amps, just not to exceed it.

Remember to use KOH or NaOH as your DISTILLED water additive to make electrolyte

thanks so much. that answered a lot more than i expected. so if im looking to get under .5 amps/sq. in. how can i adjust the amount of amps? would the number of stacks or number of plates effect this or just the concentration of electrolyte?

thanks so much. that answered a lot more than i expected. so if im looking to get under .5 amps/sq. in. how can i adjust the amount of amps? would the number of stacks or number of plates effect this or just the concentration of electrolyte?
    first understand that the generator PULLS current. As much as the CONCENTRATION of electrolyte will let it. Water is actually more of an insulator by itself. Adding KOH or NaOH reduces the resistance of the water. Max electrolyte is about 28%. if your generator creates heat or gets hot from a nearby source(ie engine) you will have higher amps being pulled.

So the point here is to shoot for half the displacement of your engine without letting your generator pull more than the .5amps per square inch per ONE plate per stack

so technically fewer plates(a less efficient reactor) would pull more amps because it would be wasting energy in heat and warming up the solution. More plates to drop the voltage would be more efficient and stable

If i were to add a second stack to make it + N N N - N N N + would that pull the same amps and create only a small amount more heat but produce more gas (if i were to be supllying to a larger engine)?

If i were to add a second stack to make it + N N N - N N N + would that pull the same amps and create only a small amount more heat but produce more gas (if i were to be supllying to a larger engine)?
    the goal here is efficiency. fewer neutrals= more gas AND more heat(if you dont increase the concentration of the electrolyte) If you waste ZERO heat (impossible but still) your altenator wont kick on so much. That being said 2 stacks would be able to pull twice the load safely but the concentration would be mostly what is responsible for how many amps the cell would pull, along with heat. Hotter more pull. 3 neutrals is a better start but even better would be 5 or 6 neutrals. This would drop the voltage between plates to less than 2 volts which is ideal to produce HHO without heat. Id rather make a cell to be -NNNNNN+ with the supplies from the +NNN-NNN+ cell you mentioned. less energy wasted means more electricity available

Quote Originally Posted by aceras624 View Post
    Id rather make a cell to be -NNNNNN+ with the supplies from the +NNN-NNN+ cell you mentioned. less energy wasted means more electricity available
    This is a good idea. You might also want to see about media blasting the plates to increase surface area. Use 3/32" or 1/16" gaskets and a pump (if necessary).

Quote Originally Posted by aceras624 View Post
    Nuetral plates drop the voltage between electrodes. +-+-+-+-+ would yield 12 volts between plates assuming your source is 12 volts. plenty of HHO but TONS of heat. Heat is wasted energy and causes "thermal runaway
    Im new but I think I understand the whole (N) plate thing with heat and all. So what if I were to build a large drycell lets just say 20 plates -+-+-+ and so forth, but instead of using (N) plates to cool the cell I installed fans and or a water cooler and a pump.. wouldnt that be more efficient? sure it would consume more power, but if hooked up to solar and extra batteries to carry that load. I dont know kinda makes sence to me what you think??