Thread: Sand only one side of the plates

Question Sand only one side of the plates

In theory, sanding (mediablasting) plates allows for greater production (small bubbles, faster flow, ...).

Knowing that a cathode produces hydrogen and the anode produces oxygen, would it not advantageous to sand only one side of the plates and to ensure that at the time of assembly, the side sanded corresponds to the anode?

We could theoretically greater production of hydrogen compared to oxygen

What do you think?

Regards
    Remi
    Civic Si 4 doors 2004, 1.7 liters V-TEC
    5N2 reactor
    CCPWM @ 7 amp
    1 Gal Capacity
    ~2% NaOH
    Waterless Peat Moss Bubbler

Both have to be the same. If they are not then everything slows down to the lesser amount. Balance is a must.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Water is composed of 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen. You are always going to make twice the amount of hydrogen as oxygen. No more no less.

Dixiepc, that is a given and making one plate less productive only will limit the total production. I hope that is clearer. LOL There is of course the doping of the electrolyte that inserts more H into the mix. This though is a consumable and is not related to splitting of water into its components.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Balancing surfaces by increasing the cathode is not a bad idea! At all! I have said that long time ago on other places to those who have plates type.
    I have a tube type generator with a 13mm diameter ( almost 1/2 " ) central shaft as anode 2mm thickness tubes and 1.5mm gap. That model solve most of the problem. A double surface for each cathode will be probably the best but not so easy to find the tubes at that gap.
    Guess what: with central shaft as cathode temperature is higher and gas volume lower than normal.
    And for 1/2" diameter/ 180 mm lenght that unit get 1.15-20 LPM at 15 A and 13.2 V with maximum temperature 48-50 C ( achieved in 1 1/2 hours with approx.5% KOH) and 1 LPM at 15 A and 12.5 V same temperature ( achieved in 45-50 minutes with approx.15% KOH) (I used a secondary anode also) and CCPWM from powee supply.
    Bubble overpotential is important aspect.
    Dopping the electrolyte is not so complicate.
    Add an extra electrode and will get better result creating a large capacitor ( protolysis) and using the energy stored during the PWM OFF time and electrolysis of one of the water ionic forms - Hydroxil OH( -) or Hydronium H3O (+) ( as i said I use an extra anode - looks like an extra catode need higher voltage per cell - not available for automotive application but teh way to "zero current" - Meyer's style).
    Both ways are no longer H2O electrolysis and proportion of gases are different and in both cases gas quality is not the same and power is used in different ways.
    Both seems to be better than 30% KOH on equal plates!