Thread: MAP sensor enhancer

MAP sensor enhancer

So I bought a MAP sensor enhancer- I thought I was paying a bit more for an enclosure but it proved to be a cheaper make than what was in the pic. Nonetheless it was a potentiometer with wires attached. Problem is that there were two wires. I've only seen diagrams with 3 wires. So how do I hook this one up? Or do I return it and just make my own with the 3 wires (two that reroute the signal wire)?

Also, with my ultra-gauge will I see the false readings that the MAP sensor enhancer and EFIE will give off in it? More importantly- the MAP sensor readings. I believed they are used to calculate the MPGs. If I alter the MAP sensor readings then my MPGs will change anyways making them inaccurate right? How do I know my MPG readings are right?

Quote Originally Posted by sjrobinson View Post
    So I bought a MAP sensor enhancer- I thought I was paying a bit more for an enclosure but it proved to be a cheaper make than what was in the pic. Nonetheless it was a potentiometer with wires attached. Problem is that there were two wires. I've only seen diagrams with 3 wires. So how do I hook this one up? Or do I return it and just make my own with the 3 wires (two that reroute the signal wire)?

Also, with my ultra-gauge will I see the false readings that the MAP sensor enhancer and EFIE will give off in it? More importantly- the MAP sensor readings. I believed they are used to calculate the MPGs. If I alter the MAP sensor readings then my MPGs will change anyways making them inaccurate right? How do I know my MPG readings are right?

Slow down......... The MAP sensor doesn't calculate mpg in any manner. It measures the air flow, temp and pressure of the air going into the engine. If its a stand alone MAP(3 wire on most), then it measures the intake pressure(vacuum)[m.anifold a.bsolute p.ressure].
    As to the Ultra-gauge; if you are using ANY efie's or gadgets to alter any of the sensor outputs you will see the readings that are altered, as the computer is giving the info that it's getting.
    If your car has a mpg indicator, than it measures you speed, mileage, and fuel used to calculate MPG. It may also take into consideration engine load, rpm, throttle position, but does not use the MAP sensor for determining mpg.
    Its done right or its not done !
    Hail HHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Madsceintist View Post
    Slow down......... The MAP sensor doesn't calculate mpg in any manner. It measures the air flow, temp and pressure of the air going into the engine. If its a stand alone MAP(3 wire on most), then it measures the intake pressure(vacuum)[m.anifold a.bsolute p.ressure].
    As to the Ultra-gauge; if you are using ANY efie's or gadgets to alter any of the sensor outputs you will see the readings that are altered, as the computer is giving the info that it's getting.
    If your car has a mpg indicator, then it measures you speed, mileage, and fuel used to calculate MPG. It may also take into consideration engine load, rpm, throttle position, but does not use the MAP sensor for determining mpg.
    The Scangauge and Ultra-Gauge both will have to be calibrated every time you alter the input of any sensor. They do not measure fuel usage at all, they only calculate it from sensor inputs. Only (that I know of) MpGuino uses fuel injector pulse width (actual fuel used) to ascertain fuel mileage. It only has to be calibrated once, after that you can change any sensor output and it will not affect it's accuracy. As long as you don't change the fuel pressure and I'm not absolutely sure about that.

Oh, Ok I see. I noticed a direct correlation between the intake air pressure which is what I assumed the MAP sensor in my car measured and the instant MPGs displayed. Thats what made me think that changing that would also change the MPG readings.
    Now for my other question about the two wire MAP sensor enhancer?