Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SMITH VW Touareg V6 Conversion

Smith03Jetta Guest

SMITH VW Touareg V6 Conversion

I'm starting this thread for my VW Touareg. I hope that everybody who has enjoyed reading my Jetta Thread will enjoy this one as well.

Photos:

1. Front Grille of my Touareg.
    2. Air Intake
    3. Front with grille removed. It's easy. just push some tabs down and it pops out. I wish my Jetta was this easy...
    4. Case is a tight fit to get it inside the grille...
    5. But once it's in it has plenty of room.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    This vehicle is a 2004 VW Touareg. It has a Gross Vehicle Weight of about 6000 lbs. It's All wheel drive. It will do 150 mph easy. It has a 220 HP porche/audi engine. It has a K&N Air filter. No other mods except a towing package. It gets 14 - 15 mph pulling a trailer. It gets 18 to 19 around town. It gets 20 - mixed driving. It gets 22 - 23 on the interstate doing 65 mph. These are real numbers that I have verified prior to beginning this experiment.

1. Case from above.
    2. Putting the grille back on to confirm fit.
    3. Grill re-installed.
    4. This is where I will mount my gas fitting.
    5. View from the front, under the SUV. You can see my little girl's kittens. You can also see the skid plates under the SUV. The underside of the vehicle is aerodynamically designed to help with gas mileage. There are aircraft style cooling vents that use a venturi effect to direct cooling air toward hot items like the transmission components. The skid plates would normally keep vital cooling air from reaching these items.

Looking forward to reading about your next project, Smith03jetta.

I note that you're mounting the case on it's side? Will you be turning the electrode plates around also to keep them in the same aspect (i.e. thinnest view from the top down)?
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Smith03Jetta Guest
    I designed these electrodes specifically so the case can be mounted on it's side or laying flat.

webeopelas Guest
    Smith,

Looked at pelican cases and they all seem to have a pressure relief valve on the front.

Do your cases have this valve? If so, what did you do to disable it?

Smith03Jetta Guest
    I removed the pressure relief valve and use that hole for one of my electrode bolts last time. I'll probably just seal it off this time or use it for my water fill hole. The later seems to be the best choice.

I'm re-posting the following photos from my plate build on the correct forum. I'll be deleting the posts from the Jetta thread.

I put together a whole new setup for my Touareg. I'll finish it up this week. Here are the photos to show off. Enjoy...

1st Photo is of the piece of stainless steel that I found in my shop. It was 14.25" x 25". I scribed my design on the plate and started cutting. I purchased a new fine-tooth blade that worked just fine. I waited to change the blade until I got a couple cuts in with the blade in photo 3.

2nd photo is of my Band Saw.

3rd photo is cutting the edge waste off the piece of steel. I tried to get as much surface area out of the piece of steel as possible.

4th photo is of the pieces after the were cut.

5th is my workbench break.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    Here are some more...

1st shows the break bending the plate.

2nd is setting up for the second bend.

3rd is after the second bend.

4th is all the bent plates lined up for inspection.

5th is a different angle. I decided not to go with that alternating design later as you will see.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    More of the same...

1st is a closeup of the drill holes.

2nd shows a closeup of the plates after 1/2 sanding is complete.

3rd shows sanding

4th shows sanding.

5 is the beginning of the assembly. Plates were cleaned prior to assembly with Citrus hand cleaner. It does a really nice job.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    More of the same......

1st another shot of the plates.

2nd another shot

3rd another shot

4th. plates are attached with Zip Ties. No bolts, no rivets. No hard work. I'm lazy....!!!

5th. Side View of plates.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    More... More... More...

1st is rear view of plates

2nd is measuring tape across plates for comparison.

3rd more measuring tape.

4th more measuring tape.

5th more measuring tape.