Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SMITH VW Touareg V6 Conversion

Smith03Jetta Guest
    Yet another post with more photos.

1st measurement of width of plates.

2nd plate setup inside of box.

3rd a side view of plates in box.

4th another view.

Unlike my previous electrolyzer this one was designed from the beginning to have plates that fit really nice inside the case. The plates are lower than the gasket. This case also has the added benefit of being able to turn it on end and still work just fine. I still need to take the bumper off my Touareg to find the best mounting location. Before I cut the hole for the gas hose, I will need to make sure how it will need to be mounted.

This setup has 260 sq/inches of gas producing surface. It should be able to put out 1 to 1.5 liter of gas with no problems. Comments and questions are welcome as always... I purchased the case at a dive shop in Marietta Ga.

That's all folks... For Now.

*** Since this post I found the best mounting location right behind the grille. It comes off easy with no screws holding the grille in place.

scirockett Guest
    wow.. it takes a certain kind of dude to mess around with a Treg!! it's not your typical automobile... electronic control of everything! glad to see you're getting good results!

Smith03Jetta Guest
    I lost count when I was looking for Oxygen Sensors.

If HHO will work on a Touareg it will work on ANYTHING in the world. The Touareg has one of the most advanced engines/transmissions/suspensions/electronics in the general consumer market. I really envy you guys tinkering on old Chevrolets and Toyotas and such.

Oh, BTW, the Air Conditioner Compressor is integrated into the Touareg Engine. It is always running. It does not stop running even if you turn off the air conditioner controls. There may be a bypass valve that helps conserve gas when it is not being used but it operates more like a heat pump instead of a traditional AC system.

This engine is also the first V6 engine that I've ever seen that has the intake on one side and the exhaust ports on the other side. It is set up like a Straight 6.

TBill Guest
    As you can see this is my first post so please be kind to a newbie!

In your design, the "u"s look to be approximately 1" wide and there are four in the total configuration yielding 260"2 surface area. Had you made them 3/4 or some narrower amount, you could have added another or maybe two more into the cofuguration thus adding additional surface area.

How do you determine "optimal" surface area for a design?

Smith03Jetta Guest
    This may be a funny answer but if you looked at the first photo where I started building these plates I was working with a fixed amount of sheet metal. I calculated the plate size based on the available sheet metal that I had laying around my shop.

I also was limited to 4 inches of cut width. My band saw would not cut anything wider than 4 inches. Lucky me it worked out.

TBill Guest
    Ha! Very scientific!

I also noticed that all four "u"s are neutrals. I've been reading through you Jetta thread.... is this the configuration that is best controlling heat?

I am getting ready for a 1989 K5 Blazer. This is a play truck and I drive it back and forth to the ranch. There's plenty of room to work, the complexity of the engine is minimal, but I'm in Texas and a trip is ~250 miles each way with temps in triple digits.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    Yes, All 4 "U"s are neutrals. I can't guarantee that this is the best configuration to reduce heat but the case in my Jetta does not get hot. It barely gets warm at all. I have yet to see a unit that puts out around 1 liter/minute that runs as cool.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    I finished building the HHO generator tonight. I did test it and got great results with the first attempt. I did not hook an ammeter to the box to see how many amps it was drawing but the box produced 1 liter in 50 seconds. That amounts to 1.2 liters a minute. I'm not exaclty sure how much NaOH I put in the water. I just sprinkled a few teaspoons in the water, stirred it up and turned it on. I fully intended on needing to add more NaOH to get it to produce enough gas to be meaningful.

I was pleasantly surprised.

I have some photos and Youtube Videos available...

I will post the Youtube links as soon as the videos are available.

Photos:

1. Drilling hold for gas fitting
    2. Checking Gas fitting for size. Perfect.
    3. Fitting in place.
    4. Fitting from the inside.
    5. Silicon on fitting because I could not find another plastic coated fitting. I'll try Lowes. I can't remember where I purchased the last one.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    More Photos of my stuff.

Photos:

1. Drilling the mounting holes
    2. Cutting the rubber gaskets from an old inner tube.
    3. Configuration as it will sit in the truck. (Door Closed of course)
    4. Filling up with water and NaOH.
    5. Producing Gas. This shot was within 3 or 4 seconds after turning it on.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    Another Photo. This is of the filler valve/funnel I made. I have one just like it on my Jetta HHO System. I will put a Water Level sensor on this case like I did the other one. That thing comes in handy. I never have to look to see where the water level is. BRILLIANT!!!