Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown water= bad results??

Unhappy Brown water= bad results??

Hey guys, I would like to introduce myself to the group here. My name is Doug and Im definately a newbie here, not only to this website, but to HHO in general. I purchased a drycell kit for my truck about 2 months ago and have been learning so much since then. Some days I feel so happy about the progress ive made, while other days im ready to throw in the towel due to frustration.lol
    My problem yesterday seemed to be dirty, brown, rusty colored mixture in the reservoir. My milage became so bad I actually pulled the fuse and ran with just straight gas on the way home. Im wondering this...
    was my mixture all used up, and basically the cell was making only oxygen?, That in turn was being pulled into the engine, and the ECU picked it up as extra oxygen and compensated by adding more fuel?
    My amps stayed the same( around 10) and Im using KOH as an electrolyte. The ONLY difference was the color of the water, but on that note, Ive seen many systems on youtube with the same brown mixture and it didnt seem to bother there setup.
    I have since flushed it out, and poured in a new fresh mix. This seems to be working much better as MPG's seem to be back again. Im getting 25-30 MPG's on a 3.0V6 with 215,000 miles, pulling 10 amps.

Thanks again guys..

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysrainingonme View Post
    Hey guys, I would like to introduce myself to the group here. My name is Doug and Im definately a newbie here, not only to this website, but to HHO in general. I purchased a drycell kit for my truck about 2 months ago and have been learning so much since then. Some days I feel so happy about the progress ive made, while other days im ready to throw in the towel due to frustration.lol
    My problem yesterday seemed to be dirty, brown, rusty colored mixture in the reservoir. My milage became so bad I actually pulled the fuse and ran with just straight gas on the way home. Im wondering this...
    was my mixture all used up, and basically the cell was making only oxygen?, That in turn was being pulled into the engine, and the ECU picked it up as extra oxygen and compensated by adding more fuel?
    My amps stayed the same( around 10) and Im using KOH as an electrolyte. The ONLY difference was the color of the water, but on that note, Ive seen many systems on youtube with the same brown mixture and it didnt seem to bother there setup.
    I have since flushed it out, and poured in a new fresh mix. This seems to be working much better as MPG's seem to be back again. Im getting 25-30 MPG's on a 3.0V6 with 215,000 miles, pulling 10 amps.

Thanks again guys..
    seriously guys....nobody else has issues with brown water and worn out electrolyte..?

seriously guys....nobody else has issues with brown water and worn out electrolyte..?
    Actually......no

"was my mixture all used up, and basically the cell was making only oxygen?, That in turn was being pulled into the engine, and the ECU picked it up as extra oxygen and compensated by adding more fuel?"

"Brown water" is usually due to contaminants in the electrolyte, maybe leached out of the plates, maybe out of the gaskets or maybe from the water. As you've already done, flush and refill using distilled water, not rain or tap water and (maybe after a few times) it will stay clear.

Your reactor splits H20, it produces two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, never only hydrogen or only oxygen.
    The KOH or NaOH is not used up (or worn out) in the process, but can be slowly carried out of the reactor in water vapour over time. If your amps stayed the same, your electrolyte concentration probably hadn't changed much, if at all.

How did you measure your MPG's?

How large are the plates in your dry cell kit? You only want to run your cell at .5 amps per square inch of surface area. For example if you have a 13 plate kit that has 10 square inches inside the gasket area you only want to run a maximum of 5 amps per stack or 10 amps in the example i'm giving. An easier way to understand it would be to take the area inside your gasket on a plate, multiply that by .5 and then multiply that number by how many stacks of neutrals you have in your unit. A +nnnnn-nnnnn+ unit would have 2 stacks, thus your 10 square inches could only be run at a maximum of 10 amps. Or a +nnnnn- stack could only be run at 5 amps. If you follow this rule you shouldn't have a problem with brown water.

First thing though, rinse that dry cell out and you might have to do it more than twice to get all that junk out of there.

Are you using the reservoir as a bubbler or do you have a separate bubbler for your dry cell? I would suggest a separate bubbler if you do not already have one, you can make one with 2" pvc pretty easily.

Any of that make sense?

Check out brown water thread................
    Its done right or its not done !
    Hail HHO.

sounds like youve exceeded recomended amps per square inch

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.G View Post
    Actually......no

"was my mixture all used up, and basically the cell was making only oxygen?, That in turn was being pulled into the engine, and the ECU picked it up as extra oxygen and compensated by adding more fuel?"

"Brown water" is usually due to contaminants in the electrolyte, maybe leached out of the plates, maybe out of the gaskets or maybe from the water. As you've already done, flush and refill using distilled water, not rain or tap water and (maybe after a few times) it will stay clear.

Your reactor splits H20, it produces two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, never only hydrogen or only oxygen.
    The KOH or NaOH is not used up (or worn out) in the process, but can be slowly carried out of the reactor in water vapour over time. If your amps stayed the same, your electrolyte concentration probably hadn't changed much, if at all.

How did you measure your MPG's?
    hmmm...well I got to thinking about this and Im wondering if its condensation inside the tank. I live in a very humid, and wet area(washington state) and condensation is deffinately a promblem around here.
    I could go on and on with items Ive taken a 1/8 drill bit to in order to let the water drain out.lol
    yea, I only use distilled water, but if its condensation, then who knows what the hell that is considered..

Quote Originally Posted by Havens78 View Post
    How large are the plates in your dry cell kit? You only want to run your cell at .5 amps per square inch of surface area. For example if you have a 13 plate kit that has 10 square inches inside the gasket area you only want to run a maximum of 5 amps per stack or 10 amps in the example i'm giving. An easier way to understand it would be to take the area inside your gasket on a plate, multiply that by .5 and then multiply that number by how many stacks of neutrals you have in your unit. A +nnnnn-nnnnn+ unit would have 2 stacks, thus your 10 square inches could only be run at a maximum of 10 amps. Or a +nnnnn- stack could only be run at 5 amps. If you follow this rule you shouldn't have a problem with brown water.

First thing though, rinse that dry cell out and you might have to do it more than twice to get all that junk out of there.

Are you using the reservoir as a bubbler or do you have a separate bubbler for your dry cell? I would suggest a separate bubbler if you do not already have one, you can make one with 2" pvc pretty easily.

Any of that make sense?
    Any of that make sense?...
    I know this may sound like Im taking the easy way out, but I purchased a pre-assembled generator from hydroclubusa. I couldnt even begin to tell you which plat are + or -...
    Im still wet behind the ears with hho, and all I know is the unit is 4x4x2 and they claim 2.25LPM's@30amps.
    here is there link.
    http://www.hydroclubusa.com/products.php

I am running an additional bubbler which they included in there kit. It doesnt resemble anything close to the 2" pvc ones that I have seen also on other installs.

Quote Originally Posted by Madsceintist View Post
    Check out brown water thread................
    I will do that...Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by aceras624 View Post
    sounds like youve exceeded recomended amps per square inch
    Im only running around 10 amps though..??