Thread: running my 1990 tacoma on 100% hho (zero gas)

running my 1990 tacoma on 100% hho (zero gas)

greetings from a greenhorn
    hello yall, so is it a fantasy or is it possible to convert my truck to run on 100% hho? I am totally new to production but have done loads of research on the subject and from what I read to date it sounds possible. i would love any and all imput on the matter.

so now for a little story on my plans: as I said I have a 1990 toyota tacoma 6cylinder ingine. I am currently setting the truck up for a pan-american hwy vacation so feul costs are gonna be a huge factor in determining my trip plans. i have a 300a alt on order as my fingers type, I have 3 100w solar panels that will be installed 2 deep cycle batteris and a 120v inverter. all this is gonna be installed regardles of hho production for lights and power needs along my trip, but in my research it sounds like some if not all this could be used in hho system I plan to build.

thanks in advance for all your imput and for all i have already learned from this site..

forgot to mention im a diy kinda guy so any info on where I can purchase my 316l 18g ss would be greatly helpfull.
    thanks again

Hi, welcome to the forum.
    If you do some more research, you will find that running on 100% HHO is not gonna happen for many reasons -that would take deep, engine parts remodelling involvement, among other things.
    You can, however, increase mileage by having the truck suck HHO into two places -the air intake, as well as the intake manifold (the other end of you PCV valve connection).
    Now, if you join the more is less camp, you will only need about 1/4 your engine sizes' worth of HHO to see stuff happen. That would be about .750LPM for a 3000CC engine. Pass that through a bubbler at least 1' long, and you should be seeing some difference. If not, you'll have to deal with the dreaded computer! You'd do well to see what others (especially with the same vehicle) have done to deal with this, so you don't waste time re-inventing the wheel.
    You could also try some the Hydrocarbon Cracking System to see what yields you can get -same connections, easier to set up, gives torque. Check out my thread for more info on that.
    Also, is your vehicle carbed or injected?

thanks for the info hhofox, I know it is not cheep to do it correctly well with all the electronic components needed to properly tune the engine to run smooth and efficient. Im gonna run over and check out your thread just as soon as I type this, but if you can humor me for a minute. if I were to do everything possible say with the info i can find on the net and the help I can get from all you good folks here what milage gain on the high end could I ever hope to get..

oops and sorry it is an injected motor my understanding is t hat carb motors are way easier and cheaper to work with? future plans will be for me to do a diesil swap, but unfortunatly this engine was just rebuild 15k ago so its not gonna happen any time soon.

Oh and since it is a truck I do have lots of room to work with in the rear. well maybe i shouldnt say lots cause there is gonna be alot more going on back there but lets just say I have aprox 18sq ft of space that I can utilize for whatever gear needed for this project and thats not including the 2 deep cycle marine batteries cause those already have a home..
    thanks again

The most i have ever heard of -sustained, is 89MPG.
    http://www.fuel-saver.org/Thread-57-...EO-OF-MY-SETUP

This guy seemed to be fortunate. His O2 sensor was most likely malfunctioning, allowing the HHO to really do its job.

now that was a great link thanks 89mpg thats increadible. I would be totally happy with somthing close to that. so then the guy who was making claims about 150mpg+ was just full of **** huh? I believe his name was richard. Im a huge dreamer so his claims had me chimed in right away. I was wondering why everyone else on this forum was so negative towards him.
    im not gonna stop being a dreamer cause someone said it cant be done, but maybe I will just take babe steps for now and hope for a greener tomorrow...

BTW do you know why he wrapped his sensor with all that tin foil?

just for you madscientist

I was aware of this post years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by hhofox View Post
    The most i have ever heard of -sustained, is 89MPG.
    http://www.fuel-saver.org/Thread-57-...EO-OF-MY-SETUP

This guy seemed to be fortunate. His O2 sensor was most likely malfunctioning, allowing the HHO to really do its job.
    It really is a good post. He does the best he can documenting his changes and his results. It allows others to follow along and to do a good job to emulate his work ( in the science world, it allows others to verify).

One caveat, and one that he doesn't hide, is that his success is partially due to his driving techniques. Anyone can improve their fuel economy by a great amount with good driving techniques. However, when you look at his before and after mileage, (28 mpg, which is close to the EPA rating for that model) all the way up to 80+! He's got something going!

Tin foil wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by reggaerican View Post
    BTW do you know why he wrapped his sensor with all that tin foil?
    It is a technique to trap more exhaust heat that is radiating away. This allows the O2 sensor to operate better and allows the engine's ECU to receive a more consistent signal. For example, unheated O2 sensors might take a few minutes upon start up to get to operating temperature and the ECU will run the engine in open loop mode, wasting fuel. Also, under light loads or long coast downs, the exhaust may cool enough to lose the O2 sensor signal and might cause the ECU to again go open loop, possibly wasting fuel.

But, this technique's effectiveness really depends on the vehicles engine particulars. Research your own case and see if it applies.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
    It is a technique to trap more exhaust heat that is radiating away. This allows the O2 sensor to operate better and allows the engine's ECU to receive a more consistent signal. For example, unheated O2 sensors might take a few minutes upon start up to get to operating temperature and the ECU will run the engine in open loop mode, wasting fuel. Also, under light loads or long coast downs, the exhaust may cool enough to lose the O2 sensor signal and might cause the ECU to again go open loop, possibly wasting fuel.

But, this technique's effectiveness really depends on the vehicles engine particulars. Research your own case and see if it applies.
    Thanks Rusty, I will look into that a little further.

And you are right bout the driving techniques. I learned that with my last truck. It was a V8 with 250k miles on it so in order to get every last bit of life out of it as possible I started driving it like a 90 year old half blind woman and boy "0" boy not only did the truck last way longer than she should have, but my mpg were right at what the mfg said she would do new(with tools loaded in the back).. You can still drive fast if you like folks just take your time getting there, it helps.
    good awarness tip Rusty and thats just one of many.. umm stay off your brakes yea thats good too..lol