Thread: Anyone tried potasium carbonate as electrolyte

Anyone tried potasium carbonate as electrolyte

Has anyone used potassium carbonate as electrolyte? A friend told me to use it as it gives the same result and is more of an alkali, softer and far less abrasive!
    I am currently using it and works fine!
    I have replaced the o-ring type rubber gaskets with a laser cut head gasket material and the outside plates with 4mm stainless plates. I am presently using a 46 plate cell on a 10L diesel truck, hence the changes. I have had a fan on it to keep it cool, but found that it hardly ever gets warm too the touch! Currently running 4-5 l/min at 15-20amps and getting a 15 - 20% fuel improvement.
    The Pot Carb help those that are worried about the gas going through the inter cooler! I also have found a proper dryer that I have installed just before the flash arrestor that will dry the gas properly before entering the air intake pipe.
    Any remarks will be welcome, I am fairly new in the game and any suggestions will be welcome

HHO Africa interesting post. What exactly is this head gasket material?
    "Currently running 4-5 l/min at 15-20amps and getting a 15 - 20% fuel improvement."
    Are you sure of those numbers? How did you measure the output of the cell.
    Does potassium carbonate react with metals and where can this be acquired?
    Would love to see pics of your cell as well as acquire more details on it thanks.

Potassium Carbonate as electrolyte

I bought a dry cell for the truck from Hans Peter Grote that operates from Cape Town in South Africa. I also live in a coastal town in South Afrcia and have been experimenting with HHO cells for some time now and I am always testing different models . This model is a 4 in 1, 46 plate cell and has stainless steel end plates. Pot carbonate can be bought from any chemical supplier and is generally used in animal feed. I used to use KOH but Hans said that Pot Carb is softer and in an alkali form it does not where the metal out as KOH does. The result has been good and yes, the test was done with a liter bottle method( not very accurate) on several different occasions, during the test period, so this is an average. The truck has an on board computer, so fuel usage was taken from the computer.
    The gaskets is laser cut from the same material used for vehicle head gaskets and works very well. I will place a video on the forum for all to see and suggestions is welcome. Hans is doing modifications and I will be testing again with results being posted later. Hope this helps

HERE IS ANOTHER UNIT i BUILT FOR MY OWN CAR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uov91...=youtube_gdata
    This produced 1.5 -2 lpm on potassium carbonate at 15 - 20 amp/min. I used 2 mini dry cells here. I mstill used the old O-ring system here.

Good Job.

Quote Originally Posted by HHO Africa View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uov91...=youtube_gdata
    This produced 1.5 -2 lpm on potassium carbonate at 15 - 20 amp/min. I used 2 mini dry cells here. I mstill used the old O-ring system here.
    Clean set up and good production. It has peaked my interest in K2CO3.

HHO_Africa thank you for your response. This certainly deserves a look.

Pot carb

I used KOH before but I found the pot carb softer and giving me good results. Also found that it does not foam as much. Still busy with the truck unit to fine tune it and then I will put a video on. I use 3 level tea spoon per liter and is working well.

Quote Originally Posted by HHO Africa View Post
    I used KOH before but I found the pot carb softer and giving me good results. Also found that it does not foam as much. Still busy with the truck unit to fine tune it and then I will put a video on. I use 3 level tea spoon per liter and is working well.
    Thanks HHO Africa for this input !!!!

Where to buy potasium carbonate ?
    Civic Si 4 doors 2004, 1.7 liters V-TEC
    5N2 reactor
    CCPWM @ 7 amp
    1 Gal Capacity
    ~2% NaOH
    Waterless Peat Moss Bubbler

where to guy pot carb

I buy it from my local chemical supplier, you will need yto find out from your chemical guys. Hope you come right, it is worth it!

Potassium Carbonate works well as Electrolyte. Can also be mixed 50\50 with Soda Ash.
    This is used for Swimming Pools.