Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water became brown color...overheating??

Water became brown color...overheating??

Hello,

We have a problem with a HHO generator. We are trying to use it in a Caterpillar. We tested it, but water got brown color. Please see the pictures. We want to know what was wrong. We are thinking it was caused by overheating. Do you agree with us? What is the good solution for this problem?

Please advise us.

Thank you,
    muronao

Quote Originally Posted by muronao View Post
    Hello,

We have a problem with a HHO generator. We are trying to use it in a Caterpillar. We tested it, but water got brown color. Please see the pictures. We want to know what was wrong. We are thinking it was caused by overheating. Do you agree with us? What is the good solution for this problem?

Please advise us.

Thank you,
    muronao
    Can you give us more information?

What kind of water are you using? Tap or distilled?

What kind of electrolyte? And at what concentrations?

What amperage are you running your cells at?

What is your plate material?

These details can help us help you.

Quote Originally Posted by muronao View Post
    Hello,

Please advise us.

Thank you,
    muronao
    That appears to be rust? If so, then you have metal somewhere that is not stainless! If not then your liquid solution has to many contaminates. Possibly due to not using distilled or not cleaning and conditioning properly. That alone could cause overheating due to the contamination creating a bridge from plate to plate. How ever if that is as it looks to me, you will have to disassemble the entire thing to clean it thoroughly! THOROUGHLY !!!!

This may help for your reading pleasure.

http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread....ht=brown+water
    Its done right or its not done !
    Hail HHO.

Hi RustyLugNut,
    Thank you for your help and I'm very sorry for my late reply.

We think we could find the problem. I'll update it later

Hi Madsceintist,
    Thank you for explaining and giving us the helpful link. I'm very sorry for the late reply.
    We think we could find the problem. I'll update it later.

Hi RustyLugNut,
    We still can't find our problem, we were misunderstanding....I'll respond below:

What kind of water are you using? Tap or distilled?

A: Distilled

What kind of electrolyte? And at what concentrations?

A: KOH (potassium hydroxid). 10 to 15 grams per Liter of distilled and demineralized water

What amperage are you running your cells at?

A:Minimum = 19A; Maximun = 23A; Average = 21A

What is your plate material?

A:Stainless AISI 316

Thank you for your help!!

how big is one plate in your cell?

also, did you mean 316L when you said "316"?

and finally, is you cell sideways? or is that just the way the pic was taken?

There is only 3 reasons for brown muck. One is type of material, two is over driving the unit, three is contamination of some kind in the water/electrolyte/cleaning of the unit.

Flush the unit with distilled water and run it with NaOH at less than 10 amps and change the electrolyte if there is any discoloring until it is clear. This could take a couple days and possible a number of electrolyte changes. I suggest you follow the D9 pdf procedures to cleans and condition the reactor except use NaOH instead of KOH for the process. If the material is not 316L I suggest you lower the amps to not more than .25 amps per square inch of active area on one side of one plate. Unless the plates are media blasted never exceed .50 amps per active active square inch.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

I think the replies have covered most possibilities.

The only thing I would add is to check your connection hardware and make sure they are not plated steel and are not corroding on the inside. Ideally, your piping should be plastic or stainless so as to prevent corrosion from your piping to enter your electrolysis cells.

Is there any way you could have a short or loose electrical connection somewhere that is causing excessive heat at some spot in the cell? Just a thought.