Thread: Hello! New member trying to get started with a dry cell

Lightbulb Hello! New member trying to get started with a dry cell

Hi,

I've been looking into making/buying an HHO generator for about a year now since a friend showed me his and convinced me that it wasn't something to just laugh at.

Since then I've been reading up a lot and trying to figure out the best way to go but it's all a bit confusing with lots of clearly rubbish and fake ideas floating about. There's a lot of snake oil out there isn't there?

This is what I've concluded (please correct me if I'm wrong or I've missed anything)
    - Dry cell is the way to go
    - 316L stainless is the metal to use
    - Don't use any acrylic in the build
    - Neoprene is the best material to use as a gasket
    - Use proper gaskets rather than o-rings
    - Get the ampage as low as possible
    - Only make as much HHO as you need (engine capacity (cc)/4?)
    - Keep it cool
    - Use a low power electric pump

I am building a cell for a 1.0 Austin Metro with a single carb and dizzy. I've been getting between 45-50mpg with the standard engine but I've just rebuilt it with bigger valves, hotter cam and higher compression. In theory it should be better but I'll have to see.

Using the formula above it would seem I only need .25l/min of HHO to get the biggest improvement. To do this I've designed a 9 plate cell based on some neoprene gaskets for sale on eBay. The setup is as follows; -NNN+NNN- with the neutral plates doubling up as ends.

This is the gasket I was considering using: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-pieces-...item4ab47bb76e

Here is the design...

Thanks

James

Quote Originally Posted by James_1 View Post

This is what I've concluded (please correct me if I'm wrong or I've missed anything)
    - Dry cell is the way to go - Yes
    - 316L stainless is the metal to use - Not the "best" but most cost efective.
    - Don't use any acrylic in the build - Chemically OK, but is tricky to work with without cracking.
    - Neoprene is the best material to use as a gasket - It's a little soft, so it compresses and can reduce gap distance. Otherwise works fine.
    - Use proper gaskets rather than o-rings - Yes
    - Get the ampage as low as possible - Make that "as low as practical".
    - Only make as much HHO as you need (engine capacity (cc)/4?) - That's a reasonable starting point for experimenting, each engine is different.
    - Keep it cool - Yes, within reason.
    - Use a low power electric pump - The jury is still out on this one. Many don't use a pump.

I am building a cell for a 1.0 Austin Metro with a single carb and dizzy. I've been getting between 45-50mpg with the standard engine but I've just rebuilt it with bigger valves, hotter cam and higher compression. In theory it should be better but I'll have to see. It may be "better" only at higher revs, which makes it fun to drive, but not always fuel efficient.

Using the formula above it would seem I only need .25l/min of HHO to get the biggest improvement. To do this I've designed a 9 plate cell based on some neoprene gaskets for sale on eBay. The setup is as follows; -NNN+NNN- with the neutral plates doubling up as ends. Three neutral (bipolar) plates isn't a good way to "get amperage as low as practical". Try five or six, -NNNNNN+.

Thanks

James
    Hi James, welcome.
    I added comments above.