Thread: 91 Trans Am HHO

91 Trans Am HHO

Hey guys Im new to the forums but I have been doing some research for quite some time. Im interested in throwing in a HHO system in my 91 GTA Trans am 5.7 V8. My plan was a 6 coil wet cell system contained in pvc. (conductors being Stainless steel Cable wound through Lexan), directed through a bubbler to a pressurized storage container with a pressure relief, then directed with a check valve into my Cold Air intake just before my Throttlebody. also with an o2 extender. Heres my questions

1.) How much HHO must I produce to run the car approx 1/2 HHO 1/2 Gas
    2.) I was looking at the Map enhancers for my engine but how do they work
    (do they tell the engine how much fuel to pump in conjuction with the HHO output when spliced into the map going to the ecu)
    3.) should I be looking at Dry Cell?
    4.) I currently get arounf 10 MPG. What gains should I get in MPG, and HP(Ive read 15-25%)
    4.) has anyone succesfully seen results on a gas guzzler like mine? any info is appreciated and if theres any info/input you feel ive left out or should know feel free to Chime in. Thank you in advance! Trae

I can't help much with specifics, but I can offer a bit of general advice.

For a 5.7 litre engine, aim to produce 3LPM.
    Some recommend 0.5LPM per litre of engine displacement, some recommend only half that amount. If you aim for the higher amount, you can always throttle it back.

The EPA fuel economy figures for your model are 15mpg (city), 22mpg (highway) and 17mpg (combined). If you're only getting 10mpg now, get a good tune-up first.
    You usually have to tune for more HP or more MPG however, so don't expect both.

Go for a dry cell, in general they offer better efficiency.
    If you go with the wet cell you described, don't use Lexan (polycarbonate), it won't hold up. Check a chemical compatibility chart before choosing construction materials.

What makes the Dry cell so much better than the wet? and I already gave it a full tune up it has a few things done to so im pretty sure 10-12 mpg roughly is accurate. and thanks for the info!!!!!

Also does anyone have Plans or a link to build a dry cell. im not to familiar with the design as i am a wet cell. any point in the right direction is appreciated. also is there any hp gains to be expected? I was told there is a noticable performance difference.