Thread: Stupid Question wont a dry cell short out when it gets wet?

Question Stupid Question wont a dry cell short out when it gets wet?

Hi guys long time reader first poster, first of all thanks for contributing to this forum for a total novice it is a wealth of information, so to my question.
    I have seen some dry cells mounted behind bumpers and infront of radiators, when it rains wont the water short out the cells since the edges are exposed, I realise that the cells are already connected internally but I wonder if the water will create a bridge between cells? What effect will this have, I suppose the cell will dry eventually but can it get damaged.

I will proboubly slap myself when I get the answer but at the moment cant see the forest through all the trees.

Regards Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete75 View Post
    Hi guys long time reader first poster, first of all thanks for contributing to this forum for a total novice it is a wealth of information, so to my question.
    I have seen some dry cells mounted behind bumpers and infront of radiators, when it rains wont the water short out the cells since the edges are exposed, I realise that the cells are already connected internally but I wonder if the water will create a bridge between cells? What effect will this have, I suppose the cell will dry eventually but can it get damaged.

I will proboubly slap myself when I get the answer but at the moment cant see the forest through all the trees.

Regards Pete
    Not a stupid question.

It's not usually a problem, simply because plain water isn't a very good electrical conductor, at least not for the 2V DC or so present between two adjacent plates.
    This is why it's necessary to add KOH or NaOH to the water that we split ... they make our distilled water more conductive.

Thanks for the reply I am still researching the setup I want to use.
    Bloody steep learning curve.

Regards Pete